Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worth restoring Inland mixmaster?

Worth restoring Inland mixmaster?

I'm not really an M1 Carbine guy, but when a guy walked into my LGS with a carbine-in-a-box and the LGS owner wasn't interested, I thought it was a good gamble. I'm ashamed to say how little I paid for it, but it's better than having the guy turn it in to the police department, which is what he was going to do with it if he couldn't sell it. He said that it belonged to his father, a retired LEO, for many years before he got it. Below is what I've found on the carbine and what I think I'd need to do to restore it parts wise. Finish is another matter, it's very well worn but shoots straight. I bought it with the intent to flip it, but it shoots so well I've decided to keep it. Monetarily, I won't be putting more into it than it's worth, I think... so I'm looking for a sanity check before I get too deep into it.

I know someone will say, "This thread is useless without pics" or something along those lines, so will put 'em up when I can.

M1 "Bargain Carbine"

Inland receiver 4,98X,XXX manufactured Jun-Aug 1944

Stamped rear sight base is marked “H” in shield (Rock-Ola, Standard Products or I.B.M.)
    No markings visible on front sight

Barrel made by Brown-Lipe-Chapin Division (General Motors mfg. for Inland)
    No date stamp, no markings at all behind front sight
    “BI” on bottom flat for Brown-Lipe-Chapin Division
    “I-I” on front of gas piston housing for Inland subcontractor
    Type 3 barrel band marked “JMQ”
    No import marks on barrel (or anywhere else!)

Round bolt marked “A.I.” on left lug (Inland)

“FAT81” cartouched potbelly stock
    Milled for M2 lever
    May have “I” stamped in barrel channel, can't tell
    Can't discern any marking in sling channel due to heavy finish and what looks like hammer marks where stamp should be
    Recoil plate is unmarked cast part
    Buttplate is Winchester late, worn

4 rivet Handguard is marked “H.I.” – Hillerich & Bradsby Co., Inland contractor

Quality Hardware late milled trigger housing, to be replaced with Inland housing (already on the way)
    Flip safety – Winchester marked
    M2 sear – unknown manufacturer
    Magazine catch “M” and “CC” stamped (NPM became Commercial Controls in April, 1944), this is a replacement catch made May 1944 – Jan 1945
    Original hammer missing, replaced with Inland part (HI = Hemphill, Inland contractor)

Slide is commercial cast part marked “PMC” in triangle (Plainfield) and will be replaced with Inland (I think the Type V slide is correct for this carbine?).
    Last edited by grumpyoldretiredcop; 03-08-2013 at 04:43 AM.

Whatever you do, have Tim repark it. He did one for me and it looks fantastic. If you are going to correct it you will probably end up having more into it than it is worth.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

Cant really tell alot without pics but its probably worth more left exactly as is.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Love to see pics. I would agree with replacing the slide, but would leave the rest alone.
    M1 COLLECTORS CLUB
    WWW.M1COLLECTORSCLUB.COM
    JOIN US TODAY!

Visit the club on our new YouTube page!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/M1CCGunner

Visit our Facebook page for info and pics of the CMP, Garands etc..

“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security” Ben Franklin

I do indeed plan to have Tim repark it, definitely will replace the slide, and I appreciate the opinions expressed.

Would it make any difference if I said that I got it for under $200?

The photos show it a LOT better looking than it looks in person, though. I will try to get better photos tomorrow in direct sunlight that should show all the warts clearly.

Last edited by grumpyoldretiredcop; 02-12-2013 at 12:13 AM.

+1 on replacing the slide and getting it reparked. I concur that it needs the type V slide. Have you tried pricing the parts to make it correct ?
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

I'm just starting to, hence the sanity check before I get too far into it. So far, my ballpark estimate is that I'll have something around $450 in it before reparking but I suspect that it could be higher.

I also have a National Postal Meter that might be better worth the effort.
    Last edited by grumpyoldretiredcop; 02-12-2013 at 02:52 AM.

Founding Member
    Nice looking rifle.

I'll give you $400 for it and you have doubled your money.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

Patriot
    If you have under $200 in it, and plan on putting another $450 into it, you are still way ahead of the game. You won't find many carbines for $650 right now. Any WWII carbine is worth fixing. I agree on replacing the slide, and I'd maybe replace the stock. It's easy to find reasonably priced Inland stocks because they made so many of them. Remember, too, that any parts you replace can be sold to at least get part of your investment in the new parts back. Or you can trade some of the old parts for what you need. That is all part of the hobby. Congratulations on getting a great deal!