Thread: Experience shipping an AR15 receiver?

Founding Member

Experience shipping an AR15 receiver?

Since a new receiver is classified as "other" what are my shipping options?

I thought I could ship through USPS, but after looking over their website and the ATF I am not confident. Long guns/receivers/ec can go USPS. Handguns can go USPS if FFL to FFL, otherwise they must go common carrier and overnight.

The receiver is a firearm but not a long gun or hand gun... I guess I could conact the potential buyer's FFL to see but they may not know either.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    The one I bought last month was sent via UPS,but I don't know if it had to be sent that way but the seller chose it.I hate UPS because everything takes 1 week!!!
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

If it were me I would stick it in a box and ship it USPS, but thats me

When you bought the receiver did you say it was for a longrifle?

Founding Member
    I don't know how the 4473 was filled out. It was several years ago (maybe before the change to the form?).

I believe the USPS actually prohibits 'concealable firearms' from being mailed, and a receiver doesn't meet 'firearm' requirements for USPS rules. It ought to fit in a Priority Mail box.
    http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Eli

Founding Member
    Eli,

I'm not so sure that the receiver doesn't meet the "firearm" definition. From the USPS site:

431 Definitions
    431.1 Firearm
    A firearm is defined as any device (including a starter gun) that is designed, or may readily be converted, to expel a projectile by an explosion, a spring, or other mechanical action, or by air or gas pressure with sufficient force to be used as a weapon.

I'll see what an FFL here would charge to ship it. I should just put a damn stock on the thing so it can only be a rifle (unless the tax stamp is approved for SBR). Then I can ship it USPS no worries.