Thread: Melonite Gas Cylinder Project Complete

Melonite Gas Cylinder Project Complete

I had in my collection a gas cylinder with much of the finish (bluing) worn off. Considering it was intended for a freshly parked rifle, it bothered me. I tried cold blue to touch it up, and it didn't do much of anything. I took the gas cylinder off the rifle and degreased it and finished it with a black oxide finish kit I got from GarandGear. In general, it worked pretty well, but the finish remained a little fragile and to me it was less than perfect.

I ordered a Tapestry new production gas cylinder from Standard Parts LLC for $69. It arrived with a chalky black oxide finish, that looked fine for the most part, but I wanted something that would stay rich and deep black for a long time (or forever). Based on my experience with various firearm and metal treatments and finishes, I chose to use melonite. The wear resistance is phenomenal (I have a 1911 finished in Melonite that has had LOTS of holster presentations and the slide still appears brand new), and the color achieved is a nice deep rich black.

I sent the Tapestry gas cylinder to Coal Creek Armory. They charged me $40, and turned it around in a week. So, for $110 I had a brand new gas cylinder, with a virtually indestructible permanent black finish. Not terrible.

Here are some pictures. Top cylinder is the USGI one that had been blued, then black oxide. Bottom is the new Tapestry cylinder finished in melonite.

And here it is mounted on the rifle:

Very interesting, Looks good too.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Founding Member
    From what I've seen melonite is just about bullet proof.

Hell ! I thought that was a explosive.Melinite.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Always looking for new options for finishing gas cylinders. Thanks for the product info. Looks good!
    M1 COLLECTORS CLUB
    WWW.M1COLLECTORSCLUB.COM
    JOIN US TODAY!

Visit the club on our new YouTube page!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/M1CCGunner

Visit our Facebook page for info and pics of the CMP, Garands etc..

“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security” Ben Franklin

Very nice awpk03's!

I had a Poly M1A trigger group done by Losak. He was looking for a doner to try to improve the hardness of the soft parts. Tested good after. When Jon Wolfe did the Poly for me we did the whole gun again thru Losak. It came out very nice.