Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Project

Latest Project

Here's that Gap Letter that Tim reparked for me. I'm in the middle of getting everything together to put a scope on it.

So far I've gotten the base:

I've got the BSA Edge Pistol Scope 2-7x 28mm Duplex Reticle Matte ordered:

And the Leupold 1" QRW Quick-Release Weaver-Style Rings Matte Low are on order:

I'll update with pictures and if the results are good enough a range report when it's all finished.

Very nice !!!
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

The wood on your rifle is beautiful. Very nice tractor gun sir.

Does the scope mount attach to, or replace the rear handguard? I'd like to put a scope on one of my rifles, but I don't want to do any permanant damage to the receiver in the process.
    Some people are like slinkies.
    They aren't good for much, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Thanks for the compliments jak and Crazy Horse.

Schriv - the scout mount bolts onto the barrel in place of the rear handguard. There's no drilling or altering of the barrel or receiver. Since the scope is going to be so far away from your eye, you will need to get a scope with EER (extended eye relief). Most pistol or scout scopes should do fine. I chose the quick release Leupold rings so that I could easily take the scope off and use the normal iron sights. The user reviews that I read on the rings said you could put the scope back on the rifle and be within about 1/2 inch of zero using those rings. Some even reported that they were back to zero when they put the scope back on.

Time will tell. I'll report back how it all goes once I get everythng installed and tested.

So you're going scout on that baby? I'm very curious as to how you do with it using the scout set up. I liked the scout situation, until I hunted

Tim,

Two of the three items (mount, scope, & rings) were chosen with price in mind. A guy on another forum sold me the scout mount for a little less thatn 2/3 it's list price, the scope is "el cheapo", and the rings were the only thing I put money into. I didn't know how I would like a scope on a garand and didn't want to spend $500 to $650 and then not like it. I'll use it to hunt but I don't have the time nor place to hunt seriously. So this is really just an alternate rifle for me to pull out at the range for a change of pace.

What didn't you like about the scout???

Quote Originally Posted by wgandy View Post
    Tim,

Two of the three items (mount, scope, & rings) were chosen with price in mind. A guy on another forum sold me the scout mount for a little less thatn 2/3 it's list price, the scope is "el cheapo", and the rings were the only thing I put money into. I didn't know how I would like a scope on a garand and didn't want to spend $500 to $650 and then not like it. I'll use it to hunt but I don't have the time nor place to hunt seriously. So this is really just an alternate rifle for me to pull out at the range for a change of pace.

What didn't you like about the scout???

I just don't like the target acquisition.

Got the scope and rings in this week. Here it is assembled. Took it to the range today and sighted it in. The limiting factor in this equation is ME. It will shoot EXACTLY where I'm aiming it at the time I pull the trigger. Could get 5-6 shots in about an inch and a half circle but due to my poor shooting skills the flyers would reach out to about 3-4 inches.

Tim, I see what you mean about target aquisition. But since my paper targets aren't going to run away like a deer I've got all the time I need to get the paper target in the sight picture.

All in all I'm happy with it.

Nice rifle I hope you like the scout setup. Like Tim I liked it until I shot it. It's difficult to acquire the target or at least for me I just can't get use to it. I've left the setup on the rifle as it's a spare so I might come back to it later.

Bill