Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini G Center Scope Mount

Junior Cadet

Lightbulb Mini G Center Scope Mount

For those looking for a scope mount for hunting with your Mini-G, M1 Garand, or M1A/M14, you might want to check this out. I have enclosed some pics of it mounted on my Mini-G at the bottom. The CASM scope mount (http://www.m14.ca/M14_M1A_CASM_Scope_Mount.html). The cost of the CASM mount in aluminum, which is what I purchased, is $139.95. The steel version is $234.99, I believe. Installation is very straight forward, and took me about 30 minutes. It involves removing the rear sight from your Garand, and replacing it with the scope mount. A front tension screw keeps the mount in place, and recoil thus far has had no effect on POI. There is no drilling involved, so you can easily remove the sight mount and put the original iron sights back on at any time. The problem of the en-bloc clip ejection not allowing for an inline sight has been fixed by installing a “Holbrook Device”, which replaces the original operating rod catch. It is also easily removed and replaced with the original. It is found at http://m1thumbsaver.com, and the cost is $65.00. The device keeps the enbloc from ejecting after the final round. The bolt remains open, and you have to push the eject button on the receiver to eject your enbloc clip. When using the sight mount, you install an empty enbloc prior to installing the sight mount, then hand feed the rounds when ready to load. The scope in the picture is a low cost Leapers 4-16 x 50mm, with lighted reticle, and parallex adjustment from 10 yds to infinity. So far it has been working well. So, in short, for a total cost of about $205.00, you can have an inline scope mount that allows use of any scope you like. And, by the way, Frank (the owner of m14.ca) gives a military discount which is rather substantial. I am retired military and got it, and I think he gives it to all veterans. You need to call and ask.

IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/16gyf69.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by loboft57; 03-11-2013 at 11:37 PM.

Welcome to the forum. A few of our members are using that setup. Tim, Sean, Rlelvis, and others. Tim and Sean have both hunted with them I believe. I found the M14 version a couple of years ago and I believe it was Rlelvis that talked them into doing an M1 version. I've used the mount and I'm impressed with the quality. If you check YouTube I believe there are a couple of videos of Tim using that setup on his 35 Whelen. If I'm not mistaken you can remove the trigger group and drop the enbloc in from the bottom if you ever have to change it.
    Nice looking gun BTW.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Junior Cadet
    Thanks for the welcome, and yeah, I really like the gun. I was previously a forum member, but I moved about a year ago, my email changed, and I had to re-register, lol. Tim was the one that told me about the mount, and I bought about a year ago, but just recently installed it after buying a Mosin-Nagant M-44 carbine to take it's place as my "Zombie Killer". Glad you like it. I will be using it next week in SW Texas to hunt Axis deer on an exotic deer ranch a friend of mine manages. Might get some pics there to post, too.

Let s know how it works out. I like the idea of the Holbrook. Why have to chase around enblocs when you can just eject them right into your hand? Welcome back Bro.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

THAT is a lot of scope

Patriot
    I see you have no cheek riser. Isn't shootin it abit unstable not having a solid anchor? Looks great and I keep eyeing up this mount for my M1A. I need to pull the pin on buying one of these. I also see the scope sits sort of high also. It seems that lower rings would help with a solid anchor also. Agian, looks pretty sweet.

Junior Cadet
    No, the scope mount is fine for me, even without the cheek riser. When I was a sniper with an MP SRT (Special Reaction Team) in 85-87 at Fort Lewis, my assigned weapon was the M21 (M14 with match barrel and scope) the scope mount we were issued was high rise to allow for the use of iron sights as well if necessary. I was proficient with it, and it was about the same height as what is on my Mini G. With the one on the Mini G, I am getting about 2" 3-shot groups at 100 yds, which should be sufficient. Most of the hunting in my area is done in thick Pine/Oak/Hickory forest, and most shots are at 150 yds or less. I am traveling to SW Texas next week to hunt Axis deer, where shots will be at 150-300 yds. I will let you guys know how that goes.

Patriot
    Good luck and post a pic or two.

Yes, great mount for sure. I just can't shoot worth a damn without a good cheek weld. I have had some luck neoprene slip-on's with extra spacers added. Mainly got it for a mag fed Mini-G that has still not happened. :-( I am thinking a more permanent style of comb riser will be the way to go and not a big deal on a laminate stock.
    "Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"

Junior Cadet
    Got back yesterday from the hunt I went on in SW Texas. A friend of mine manages an exotic deer ranch, and this is the time of year they cull out does and the non-trophy bucks. We got one Aoudad/Barbary Sheep (The Barbary sheep (Ammotragus lervia) is a species of caprid (goat-antelope) native to rocky mountains in North Africa. Six subspecies have been described. Although it is rare in its native North Africa, it has been introduced to North America, southern Europe, and elsewhere. It is also known as aoudad, waddan, arui, and arruis.), one Axis doe, and two Axis bucks. The older buck had lost it's antlers, and weighed about 235 lbs. I shot the younger buck (see picture) at 225 yds with my Mini-G, a head shot to the left eye. It dropped like a rock! This buck was about 4 years old, with his antlers still in velvet, but was not going to be trophy class. It weighed in at 180 lbs. About the same height as our whitetails in Oklahoma, but ALOT stockier. Guess my cheek weld is all right . BTW, I had my Mini-G zeroed at 150 yds, and there was NO drop on the round. It hit right where I aimed in his left eye at 225 yds, crosshairs right on the point of impact. This is one HELLUVA weapon. Thanks, Tim!

Aoudad doe.

Axis buck, headshot to left eye at 225 yds. Bullet exited skull just behind left ear.