Thread: Smith Muzzle Brake

Junior Cadet

Question Smith Muzzle Brake

Hi, I'm waiting on a FG fom the CMP for a conversion to a Mini-G. I'm not recoil sensitive so are there any other pro's or con's to a brake.I know Tim said these are LOUD. I have a T37 flash hider but don't know if I really want to use it. (These are getting scarce.) I like the flash hider concept. Thanks for any ideas, Regards, Mike

I don't have a brake on my mini-g and the recoil is not the least objectionable.

I've fired plenty of guns with muzzle brakes. They're not all that loud. Maybe to bystanders? As far as the T37, those things are just too fragile.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    I've fired plenty of guns with muzzle brakes. They're not all that loud. Maybe to bystanders? As far as the T37, those things are just too fragile.
    Hi Punch, The GI ones I've seen are pretty sturdy.I've never seen one break;I'm sure they do. I know the cast re-pro's have a bad reputation. Regards, Mike

So I had a chance to fire my Shuffs Mini G today. I will tell you that the Smith break is in fact pretty darn loud.

I will also tell you that adjustable gas port is very important. I dialed the adjustable Gasport all the way out today, and then slowly started backing it in. Once I had the rifle properly operating, I then started to play with the ammo and sight it in.

168gr Federal gold metal match ammunition sounded like antiaircraft fire. To be fair, I think the Smith break works very well. The recoil on the rifle does not appear to be any worse than normal M1 Garand...

Quote Originally Posted by GBMaryland View Post
    So I had a chance to fire my Shuffs Mini G today. I will tell you that the Smith break is in fact pretty darn loud.

I will also tell you that adjustable gas port is very important. I dialed the adjustable Gasport all the way out today, and then slowly started backing it in. Once I had the rifle properly operating, I then started to play with the ammo and sight it in.

168gr Federal gold metal match ammunition sounded like antiaircraft fire. To be fair, I think the Smith break works very well. The recoil on the rifle does not appear to be any worse than normal M1 Garand...
    With a brake, either BM59E or the Smith, I firmly believe that the recoil is creampuff like.

Heh!

Certainly doesn't come close to my 375 H&H Model 70....

GB

I've found sound isn't the only side effect of the Smith brake. A significant amount of hot gases gets directed towards the sides and slightly rearward. The person in the next lane from me at the range described the result as like "standing in a hair dryer". Nothing dangerous, but it could make you unpopular with your neighbors at the range, especially in a dusty or sandy environment. It does do a good job reducing recoil, although recoil from a 308 Mini-G isn't that bad to begin with.

Smith is very effective, but if you aren't the guy right behind the gun, the muzzle blast is pretty bad. I like them... of course I'm the guy behind the gun

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I've found sound isn't the only side effect of the Smith brake. A significant amount of hot gases gets directed towards the sides and slightly rearward. The person in the next lane from me at the range described the result as like "standing in a hair dryer". Nothing dangerous, but it could make you unpopular with your neighbors at the range, especially in a dusty or sandy environment. It does do a good job reducing recoil, although recoil from a 308 Mini-G isn't that bad to begin with.
    Hair Dryer, I like that.

I have a TRG-42 in 300WM. It never really kicked too much, but I found the OEM brake to be lacking effectiveness. (I was designed to blow the gases out asymmetrically, as to not give away your position, but it wasn't super effective as a break.) I called this dude that makes SAKO TRG components for the RCMP by the name of Richard Near. He sent me a brake that works so well, the rifle feels like you are shooting a full length M-16.

One day, I'm at the range and I'm shooting. People who have never seen a fully loaded TRG-42 tend to stare at it and watch me shoot. (which is really boring) As you noted, the people next to you tend to not be as happy... one of the watchers had (*HAD*) a toupee [er, hair piece?]. It went flying off his head... and he was 10 feet behind and to the right of me.

Awesome.

On the TRG there isn't much noise, as the barrel has 10 inches on a Mini-G with a Smith Break. It's just a matter of perception... The Smith Break will get you noticed by the people next to you. Heh.