Thread: American Heritage 1911 Completed

American Heritage 1911 Completed

I’ve been working on this project since June, 2011 when Wilson Combat offered their 5 inch frame and slide as a kit. I bought one as the foundation for a 1911 memorial build. I built the pistol using WC Bullet Proof parts, WC low profile sights and WC Ivory grips.
    I had WC machine the slide for the sights and install them. When I got the pistol back from Wilson I built the pistol, test fired and made adjustments. When I was satisfied with the build I sent it to Jeff at http://www.flannerygunengraving.com for the engraving. Jeff lives close by and is an incredible artist. When Jeff completed the engraving I sent the entire pistol to Rob at http://1911doctor.com to have the barrel flush cut and countersunk, slide stop flush cut and beveled and checker front strap @30 LPI. After machining I had Rob send the project to Dave Severns athttps://severnscustom.com/Hard_Hat_Treatment.html to apply the Hard Hat Finish. The project was returned to Rob at Alchemy for final assembly, inspection and test firing which happened yesterday at Rob’s shop. Rob told me it shot wonderfully and had tight groups.

The project came home today via Fedex overnight. Like a kid with a new toy I was in the box and installing and indexing the Ivory grips. The trigger pull is 3 pounds 8 ounces and feels clean and crisp. I am planning on shooting it over the weekend. I did my homework before I began the build and did have too many surprises. This type of a build isn’t cheap and it isn’t quick. I found the project to be a lot of fun and very rewarding, especially now that I have in my hands. If I can provide any information or advice for those considering a build please feel free to ask. I’ve always kept in mind that one man’s tackle box special is another man’s Barbecue Special. Here are a few pictures of the completed project.

Last edited by paid4c4; 03-15-2013 at 10:21 PM.
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

Ya did real good. Sure is pretty.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

That thing is a savage beast.

Cadet
    Wow...Very Nice 1911. What a awsome tribute. A lot of hard work and money went into that 1911. Very Nice!
    I cant imagine waiting for that one to come in the mail.

I did the same work back in 1980 w/ a 70 Series Satin Nickel .45 and even sent it to Colt for special work. Damn..I wish I had that
    old Colt 1911 back.

Oh well...Keep it up!

Forever Forward,

Mike

Patriot
    Sweet!!!!!

Founding Member
    Very nice!