Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CMP Backlog!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Hi,Yes I agree most of that stuff can't be seen. The elevation knob is no knob...a screw and a washer like thin piece of metal. That was kinda hard to miss . Regards, Mike

That's the history of the gun, never take it off...or you are destroying all that our fathers and grandfathers fought for. Sarcasm

Yeah, I would complain about that one...pretty poor excuse for a elevation knob, not even the real part? CMP attention to detail will certainly suffer for rushing them out the door so fast.

Cadet
    Just wondering, but are they taking crazy amounts of time if all you ordered was a stock?

Quote Originally Posted by rattletrap1970 View Post
    Just wondering, but are they taking crazy amounts of time if all you ordered was a stock?
    It all falls in line with everything else. Took me 3 months to get a coffee cup once.

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by rattletrap1970 View Post
    Hi, Ammo is also taking 60 days according to a thread on the CMP forum. So, I guess since they both come thru the e-store I would estimate 60 days also. Regards, Mike

Junior Cadet
    Hi,I got my Field Grade today, about 63 days from time mailed. The quality has declined. My FG used to be a rack grade in the old days. The muzzle guage's at 3 and the throat erosion is at 3-4.The reciever has about 10% finish but the internals look OK. The GI stock has a big chip in the "heel" and a no finish/beat butt plate.
    Also came with a cracked gas lock screw, a broken op spring, a broken elevation knob and a bad bullet guide. If I didn't have a Timing Guage I wouldn't know about the bullet guide. So I feel sorry for a new guy buying a Garand from the CMP now a days. I e-mailed them and they should send me the parts. Bottom line if I had seen this rifle on the racks at the North Store I would not buy it. It's got a cosmo'ed, scar'ed up GI stock which I will wipe down with Mineral Spirits and then with some boiled Linseed oil (BLO). Weather is terrible so I'll see how it shoots.All in all it's not as bad as it sounds.But what about the new guy who wants Garand? My original plan was to use this for a Mini-G. I'll probably get a laminated stock and send it off after I test fire it. Regards, Mike
    Hi, got an e-mail this morning...said my parts will be here by end of week. Good service. Regards, Mike

Junior Cadet
    I'm not sure the 3 month delay is correct, unless i got very lucky. I ordered the beginning of February, charged mid\late March and being delivered today.

Hi, got an e-mail this morning...said my parts will be here by end of week. Good service. Regards, Mike
    Interesting that this FG went out without a good tech inspection. Normally the entire rifle is disassembled and checked. Then the FG is test fired. That said I have seen or heard about issues with broken parts. I imagine that the armorers are rushing to fill orders.

I would love to see some pics of the rifle and the overall condition to include the broken parts. These are sometimes very helpful in future contact that I may have with the CMP.
    Last edited by MH53GUNNER; 03-28-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    M1 COLLECTORS CLUB
    WWW.M1COLLECTORSCLUB.COM
    JOIN US TODAY!

Visit the club on our new YouTube page!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/M1CCGunner

Visit our Facebook page for info and pics of the CMP, Garands etc..

“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security” Ben Franklin

Junior Cadet
    Hi, I doubt that there is a field strip or "good tech inspection". I think they do a muzzle and throat erosion measurement then fire 3 rounds and that's it. I sometimes wonder if they actually fire 3 rounds. As for them being busy this not the first "broken" rifle I've gotten from them. Also as an aside, The Garand Collectors Association, Spring Journal has some pictures of the Turkish Air Force returns. They don't look like cherries . Regards, Mike

You have to remember these people are special goverment employees.
    Let's see how can I put this Nicely,Thier Phoqen lazy.You can't get them to move faster tar in janurary.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

The more thanks they get, the slower they go? Is that how it works?