Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IAI Garand receiver?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Junior Cadet

IAI Garand receiver?

I have a chance to pick up at a very good price a new M1 Garand receiver. It is listed as a IAI receiver made by Caspian. I have never heard of this receiver before, but I am very familiar with Caspian's frames for a 1911. They are an investment cast frame and the casting is done at Pinetree Castings which is a subsidiary of Ruger. Anyone have any experience with one of these receivers?
    Van

Sounds more like a CAI receiver made by Century Arms...

Eli

Not with IAI.
    CAI yes, and they either work or are junk. Can you post a picture of the receiver?

I now remember that IAI made M1 Carbine receivers that were reported to be acceptable.
    Last edited by MH53GUNNER; 03-19-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    M1 COLLECTORS CLUB
    WWW.M1COLLECTORSCLUB.COM
    JOIN US TODAY!

Visit the club on our new YouTube page!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/M1CCGunner

Visit our Facebook page for info and pics of the CMP, Garands etc..

“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security” Ben Franklin

"I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    I just did the same search and read some of the same comments. It would seem there are some negative comments with barrels not indexing.
    M1 COLLECTORS CLUB
    WWW.M1COLLECTORSCLUB.COM
    JOIN US TODAY!

Visit the club on our new YouTube page!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/M1CCGunner

Visit our Facebook page for info and pics of the CMP, Garands etc..

“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security” Ben Franklin

I had this problem with one of mine.Mine was a CAI pinetree.IAI used the same receivers for thier builds .I seen about 50 B/R's from the factory left overs when they closed a few years back at a gunshow. I did have a carbine built by them and it was fine. They were out of Liberty ,TX a town about 15 miles east of the Baker homeplace. They do not have a reputation for stellar quality. They later moved to Houston.
    Quote Originally Posted by MH53GUNNER View Post
    I just did the same search and read some of the same comments. It would seem there are some negative comments with barrels not indexing.
    M1CC #328

Junior Cadet
    I picked up a Century built Garand from a local gun shop a few months back. Nice VAR barrel (almost new), mix of Springfield and PB parts, and an overall good platform for a shooter (small crack in handguard, but going to have new wood installed anyways). For what I paid for it, it wasn't that bad of a loss if it didn't work... but it would have been a very nice purchase if it did. I know some people don't like messing with historical guns (in all honesty, couldn't care less; do what you want to your gun), but I was considering to go with a M1D conversion on this rifle... but since I have a Mosin Nagant PU sniper, and also a replica M1903 USMC sniper rifle, figured I wouldn't put glass on this.

Contacted Tim when I found out DGR wouldn't touch the rifle (probably good after the experience I had with them rebuilding my M1903), and he said that as long as it works, he would work on it. Shortly after that, I got my clips back from CCR (cera-plated, which is very nice), and tested the rifle out. Worked 100% (I'll admit, I was a little worried with all the stuff that is posted on the internet regarding these receivers).

Sending it in is on my list of things to do, but with work and life, it isn't that far up on the list. Hopefully going to send it sometime between now and August... looks good, but I want it to look better.

Last edited by Screwball; 06-19-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Barrels not indexing isn't a giant hurdle depending on if they hugely over time or under time. Does the receiver work on the rifle it was on? $40 is the price I'd set for a roll of the dice.

Junior Cadet
    The receiver is new so nothing has been fit. As for the price it's a lot more than $40. With what I have found out in my searches and what has been said here I think I'm going to pass on the deal.
    Van

CMP has USGI garand receivers for $195
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"