Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a carbine from parts, need barrel install

Cadet

Building a carbine from parts, need barrel install

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/andykev/library/

Tim,

Here is a photo of my NPM receiver. It is much darker (almost black, but appears to be original finish), compared to the rest of my parts. The threads are in excellent shape. I "test" screwed in the barrel until hand snug, and there was 45 degrees left of turn..which I guess is where you use the proper wrench to "go all the way" tight.

The trigger assembly is QH, and is in great shape, with the light gray park. Has Win. bare metal hammer. The barrel is "NDERWOOD"..the N is missing. Bore is perfect. Park on it looks good. Do you recommend parking the receiver to match? I figure to do it right the first time. I have two slides, on .U., the other a late Inland (which also is very dark, but looks new).

If you can let me know about parking the receiver, I will know how much $$$ to send when I ship this to you for the barrel installation to receiver (and yes I have the bolt to ship with this).

Thanks!

andykev, you have got to make that decision yourself. You, after all, have to stare at that rifle for countless hours after it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    andykev, you have got to make that decision yourself. You, after all, have to stare at that rifle for countless hours after it's done.
    Perhaps Stu can wade in on this. He is an expert at staring at newly parked rifles and finding imperfection, no matter how slight.
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

Quote Originally Posted by dogboysdad View Post
    Perhaps Stu can wade in on this. He is an expert at staring at newly parked rifles and finding imperfection, no matter how slight.
    It is said the Stu can find imperfection in the kid. I don't believe it though.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    It is said the Stu can find imperfection in the kid. I don't believe it though.
    Stu and the Kid are from the same tribe,I don't believe you.I'd like to see pics of the receiver and index if at all possible?
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Cadet
    Tim,

It's boxed and the order form went to you. I'll ship it out tomorrow. USPS.

Cadet
    After coming home from my "delightful" experience interacting with the US Postal "ESL" worker, I realize why the bulky and well packed box containing my receiver, barrel and bolt was around $16. I thought I asked her for the 2-3 day Priority, but she put it in as "Standard". Guess, unless I am lucky, and they change horses often...it won't arrive to Tim until late next week (10 days).

It was so much fun, how people in line at the P.O. are "unprepared". One lady ahead of me was actually wrapping up a book to ship back to somewhere, using a scrap end of cardboard..and a laser printed sheet of paper scotch taped at only 4 corners as the label! Another woman had her shopping bag of dried nuts or whatever, and the helpful Postal Worker carefully boxed her items for her, having a long chat about the world, all the while there are 14 busy people waiting in line..fuming.

Then, she became very curious about what was in the package. Is it breakable? I said no, it's made of metal. What? I said "metal parts". OH CAR PART? YOU HAVE CAR PART? I was terrified to even utter the word "gun" parts, so I didn't. Hope it arrives safely, Mr. Shufflin.
    Last edited by andykev; 03-26-2013 at 12:24 AM.

See now, I would have not only uttered gun parts but I would have said it loudly, firmly and boldly. I then would have glanced through the office to see who was offended and given them a glaring stare. It's just how I roll.

Cadet
    I wanted to do the same thing. However, being in a "Federal Building"..and the "ESL" Postal Clerk...I had strong apprehension and fear that all proceedings would have come to a halt, two black suited men in sunglasses would have appeared yelling "SIR STEP AWAY FROM THAT PACKAGE"..and some geeky bespectacled Inspector would have razor cut the package open as I watched in handcuffs. You get the climate here in the People's Republic, don't you?

If not for my house almost being paid off, the spectacular weather, and all the amenities associated with my running a thriving gun club, I'd be moving to Idaho.

Quote Originally Posted by andykev View Post
    I wanted to do the same thing. However, being in a "Federal Building"..and the "ESL" Postal Clerk...I had strong apprehension and fear that all proceedings would have come to a halt, two black suited men in sunglasses would have appeared yelling "SIR STEP AWAY FROM THAT PACKAGE"..and some geeky bespectacled Inspector would have razor cut the package open as I watched in handcuffs. You get the climate here in the People's Republic, don't you?

If not for my house almost being paid off, the spectacular weather, and all the amenities associated with my running a thriving gun club, I'd be moving to Idaho.
    No, no, I still would have done what I said. The law and the postal rules are on my side. Notice 108 Page 2 Line 1 of the postal poster "keep the mail safe", it's supposed to be displayed in every post office, clearly states the rules for shipping firearms.

Here is the poster from the USPS site.

http://about.usps.com/posters/pos138.pdf