Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to this forum

Junior Cadet

New to this forum

Hello all. Just found and registered for this forum. I've been on the CMP Forums for a while now. I look forward to participating in this forum, as well.

Barry

Welcome aboard.Lots of good guys here,Some cranks,Lots of politicians and a couple comedians.
    But lots of good information.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Hey Barry, glad to see you made it.
    Welcome
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Hey Barry, glad to see you made it.
    Welcome
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Cadet
    Hello all,
    New to the Board. Just picked up a Springfield Armory M1 Garand from an estate sale for $50. Serial number is 3,426,xxx. It had gotten wet and the first inch of the barrel was hosed. The stock was also a little punky. So.. I was thinking of putting a criterion barrel on it and I have a complete stock with hardware coming from the CMP. Finally got my own rifle for Service Rifle Matches.
    Last edited by rattletrap1970; 03-25-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rattletrap1970 View Post
    Hello all,
    New to the Board. Just picked up a Springfield Armory M1 Garand from an estate sale for $50. Serial number is 3,426,xxx. It had gotten wet and the first inch of the barrel was hosed. The stock was also a little punky. So.. I was thinking of putting a criterion barrel on it and I have a complete stock with hardware coming from the CMP. Finally got my own rifle for Service Rifle Matches.
    Welcome. We would love to see some before and after photo's of this Garand.

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Brinks352 View Post
    Welcome. We would love to see some before and after photo's of this Garand.
    Thanks, funny thing is.. They don't look like much once they're all disassembled. The rust on the Garand was all within 3 inches of the muzzle. The rest of the rifle was just dirty. The stock, while it could clean up, I don't think is worth the time, the wood is mis-matched and water damaged and there are no cartouches or markings of any kind, except what looks like magic marker on the bottom of the stock that says "445". The hardware (other than the stacking loop) is all very good but since it all comes with the new stock I probably won't refinish it just to save some dough.

I found a very nice walnut CMP stock with all the hardware (now I just have to wait on it).

I'm going to put a Criterion match barrel on it (since about 3/4 of an inch of the inside of the muzze is rusted away).
    And the only thing I need to have re-finished is the trigger group housing, receiver, op-rod, gas tube, and sights (cause I want it all to match).
    Probably have a trigger job done on it since I do want to use it for service rifle matches.

The only parts it needs is a gas tube plug, rear sight cover and stacking loop (if it doesn't come with the stock).

The carbine I picked up is an Alpine M1 Carbine, not original GI, but one of the only ones that is parts interchangable with USGI (so I heard). I think it will clean up well, and I ordered a CMP stock for that too.

Founding Member
    That barrel sounds like a great candidate for a G!

The stacking swivel is attached to the gas cylinder. It would not come with the stock normally.

Cadet
    I'm not sure what a "G" is.

So I guess I'll need a stacking swivel too.

Quote Originally Posted by rattletrap1970 View Post
    I'm not sure what a "G" is.

So I guess I'll need a stacking swivel too.
    rattletrap, can't wait to see the before pictures of this estate rifle.

Welcome to both cav and rattletrap!