Thread: I'm in the pit of despair...

I'm in the pit of despair...

Just got to Washington DC, staying close to Arlington. On vacation...but don't care for big cities.

Going to stick my nose in a museum for 5 days and head back to Arizona.

Smithsonian makes it all worthwhile.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Patriot
    Civil War battlefields can be a day trip. Head out to Aberdeen proving grounds...museum and tank park not what it use to be, but still good for wandering around looking at old steel and think they still have the Anzio Annie big gun there. Yes to Smithsonian. You can burn a lot of time in there as well as Air and Space Museum. Am sure is you mention Shuff's name you can arrange a White House tour . Anyway, look at a map...you'll see a whole bunch of names you remember from history. Oh yeah....One thing to see in your life...really mean it. Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier. Used to feel the same way about big cities,,,,started looking at tours...you know, get in a bus and just go along for the ride. Lots of them are tailored for specific interests. Ain't know way it's any kind of fun driving and parking in big cities in any event.
    Last edited by ordmm; 04-22-2013 at 10:59 PM.

Almost bought one.

Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 04-23-2013 at 08:56 PM.

My favorite part of the Smithsonian is the Udvar-Hazy Center, which is the huge Air and Space Museum annex next to Dulles Airport. They have everything from pre-WWI Curtis pushers to a retired Space Shuttle. Well worth the 45 minute drive west from DC, just don't think of attempting it in evening rush hour.

As for Civil War battlefields, Antietam and Manassas are definitely worth seeing, and are day trips from DC. All of this assumes you have a car, of course.

"so our children can fly"

As long as those are one way tickets, to anywhere but here........

Or better yet, fly on down to the local employment office and get a job.
    Some people are like slinkies.
    They aren't good for much, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Schriv View Post
    "so our children can fly"

As long as those are one way tickets, to anywhere but here........

Or better yet, fly on down to the local employment office and get a job.
    Or foodstamps . . . or welfare . . .
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

In dc my favorite visit was the holocaust museum. It was a real tear jerker. The shoes in that place gave me real pause.