Thread: Cleaned the old Mosin

War Room Ready

Cleaned the old Mosin

Bought a Mosin-Nagant M44 years back. A nice little shooter. Don't shoot it much. Anyway, seeing as 7.62x54R seems to be the only ammo that's cheap and in in stock around here. I took her out for a run. Shot about 3-5" group at 100 yards with irons. Got back home and started cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. "Fck is this bore every going to stop bleeding" I asked the kid. Well, piss on this. I broke out the homemade electric bore cleaner. Mixed up some solution and let it do its job for about on hour. Oh, Christ! Looking at the rod and solution after it was done you'd swear all this years I just rode it hard and put it away wet. After all was said and done its a nice shinyish bore that really lets you know she's pitted to hell.

I love my MNs. I hate cleaning them....which means I just don't. LOL

At the prices I paid for mine when I got them (under $100 for M38s and under $50 for 91/30s), I figure the cleaning patches are worth more than the rifle.

One of these days I need to do up one of those electric bore cleaner thingies. Someone should make a sticky here on how to do it so I can make one
    [SIGPIC]

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I thing they are the ugliest rifle,but they are good rifles.I don't shoot it much because of the corrosive cleaning,but I do like the price of the ammo!
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

The trick to cleaning up after corrosive ammo is Windex with amonia. I spray the stuff right down the barrel from the chamber end scrub with a brush run some patchs till close to clean. then clean as you would any rifle. I have heard stories from Mariens at Paris Island striping down garands and cleaning them in buckets of soapy water when shooting corrosive. I will stick with Windex.

Mike
    Staten Island German Martial Arts (S.I.G.M.A.)
    http://www.sigmanewyork.webs.com/

Time to feed the pigs!!!!!!

The sword of time will pierce our skins
    It doesn't hurt when it begins
    But as it works its way on in
    The pain grows stronger...watch it grin.

War Room Ready
    Yep, water for the potassium chloride. Ammonia for the copper. Vinegar for the lead. Dish soap for the powder and rubbing alcohol for a streak free shine.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Yeah,I use windex w ammonia too,but it is one extra step,and I'm really lazy!My bore is still in excellent condition and i'll have something to shoot when everything else is gone.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Founding Member
    I like hitting rocks with mine in the driveway!

Founding Member
    For $55.00 you cannot beat a hex rec. model 31..The ladder sight was a little warped..I wish I had bought one of those old Westinghouse rifles,,really regret that..But they were so Damn UGLY then..

Find me one for $55. Heck, find me a crate full.
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

Founding Member
    Ha,,Me TOO..I bought it years ago at garage sale..Along with a nearly new chain-saw..I nealy passed out when I saw the two crates at gunshow two months ago..Damn they were high..and Still in the grease, so Impossible to see bores or features..I think mine is hex headed reciever and a Finnish model--1942 0n it..I bought some paper wrapped packs of bullets for it, but haven't fired it..if its like the 6.5x55.. it will be loud...