Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unmodified op rod

Cadet

unmodified op rod

I've a question on uncut original op rods, WW2 vintage.

They've been called unsafe by some as it may break and wreak havoc in more ways than one. Is it worth selling it off to a collector and getting a newer version, or getting that one modified?

Your thoughts and comments are welcome. 30calflash.

Welcome to the forum 30calflash. What do you want to do with your garand ? If you want to make it correct, keep it and get another op rod for shooting if you are that worried about breaking it. If you are just using the rifle as a shooter, sell the unmodified op rod and make a couple of bucks. It doesn't matter which modified op rod you used. There are a wide range of opinions on whether to shoot a rifle with an unmodified op rod. Personally, if I had an unmodified op rod on my rifle, it would be on a rifle that would be correct. I wouldn't have a problem using that rifle, but that particular rifle would not be one of my regular shooters anyway.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

Unless it is one of the very early first op rods and it is correct for your rifle ,shoot it. Sure its a chance it "could" crack but you could also walk out the front door and get hit by a meteor.

JMP
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

If you shoot it, you will die. Every uncut op rod ever fired has claimed at least one life. In fact, until late 1944, uncut oprods were responsible for more allied deaths than enemy fire
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by seaninmich View Post
    If you shoot it, you will die. Every uncut op rod ever fired has claimed at least one life. In fact, until late 1944, uncut oprods were responsible for more allied deaths than enemy fire
    Imagine being that poor bastard in the rifle company whose last round in the en bloc not only sends the op rod handle through his right eye killing him, but the ping from the ejecting en bloc gets the rest of the company killed.
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Quote Originally Posted by dogboysdad View Post
    Imagine being that poor bastard in the rifle company whose last round in the en bloc not only sends the op rod handle through his right eye killing him, but the ping from the ejecting en bloc gets the rest of the company killed.
    Yep. "M1 garand, greatest battle implement ever devised....for the enemy".
    [SIGPIC]

Now that everyone has 30CALFLASH thoroughly confused, i the rods were good enough for our guys in WWII then they are good enough for me!
    Shoot the thing.

The Second World War was won with M1s with uncut op-rods. Shoot it.
    Real M1s have a single barrel spline
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Retired GCA Member

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
    Now that everyone has 30CALFLASH thoroughly confused, i the rods were good enough for our guys in WWII then they are good enough for me!
    Shoot the thing.
    Thanks for the replies. It's for a friend, a newb, who recently acquired it and the last thing he needs is to have problems or second thoughts on what he purchased. If I find a shooter grade rod reasonable I might try to pick one up for him.