Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unmodified op rod

I've got one on my match Garand (SA 5-45). Have been shooting it for over 30 years. It's never posed any problems and I still have both eyes. Just shoot it.
    Jon

Founding Member
    Okay, I have only noted a couple rods that were welded in years of shooting..the crack should show up long before the rifle 'Throws it off". We were shooting them in 1970s In the TNG,with the heavier Ap bullets and no one ever told anyone about a rod failure, esp to the point of coming off the rifle..Parts I have read was the "very early" OP rods..

Cadet
    Thanks for the replies. I subbed one of my spares to just get him out there and get in some trigger time this past tuesday. He loved it, to say the least. After sighting in at 25 yards he whacked a 220 yard gong with it. Quite the happy guy!

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    Thanks for the replies. It's for a friend, a newb, who recently acquired it and the last thing he needs is to have problems or second thoughts on what he purchased. If I find a shooter grade rod reasonable I might try to pick one up for him.
    Glad you could help him out..next thing you know he will be looking for another rifle..To go with it..