Thread: Bought a Carbine

Junior Cadet

Bought a Carbine

Good day gents, I'm new to the board.

I'm looking for some feedback as to manufacture date, which parts look period right, and which don't.

Serial# 5511*** Inland

Barrel says "Inland MFG. DIV 9-44

The rear sights looks to be a stamped adjustable part#7160060

Push button safety smooth

Mag release M

Looks like a type2 front band

Looks like the older slide, with 2 rivet upper hand-guard.

Upper hand-guard has a #10 stamped into the wood,

A small hole up near the front sling on the left side...oilier?

The Car-touche has the two cannons with a 17 next to it. What does the 17 mean?

The stock looks like the low wood, maybe a later replacement stock?

What can you tell me?

Thank you..

Carbinemixedpics_zps392267b7.jpg

I'm no carbine guy so I'll just sit here and enjoy your photo's. Welcome to the board Sir.

Late Inland. IO stamped into hand guard. Maybe T2 barrel band but might be faked - can't tell. Small hole in front of stock is for the barrel band spring - it gets drilled through the stock fore end. Get a book and have fun learning about them.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

For a book I recomend US M1 carbines, wartime production 5th edition bt Craig Riesch. Lots of good info.
    Tom

Patriot
    That's a good looking stock

Junior Cadet
    Looks like you have a real nice Carbine

Type II barrel band is correct for your Carbine. Type III began @ S/N# 6.3mil

The stock may be correct, look for a OI or HI and a flaming bomb stamped in the flat "cut out" in the sling well, also, should be a "low wood" (which it is) and "oval" sling cut out (not the "I" cut out).

The handgaurd changed to the Type III (4 rivot) @ S/N# 5.5mil your handgaurd and serial number is close, flip a coin and it is marked Inland (OI)

The safety is a Type III, push button and correct. If you remove the safety the "detent" where the spring and plunger hold the safety in place will be ground accross the safety with a "hump" in the middle vs a "double hole", like a double shotgun barrel looks from the business end" drilled into the middle of the safety body

Rear sight should be milled and marked on the right side "PI" or "HI", the stamped rear sight was not in producton til S/N# 6.3mil

The magazine release is correct Type III (if the "M" does NOT have a line under it)

For what it's worth

Junior Cadet
    I agree with melloman, the Type I and II barrel bands are faked quite a bit. If it looks too nice (or new) to on the rifle, it's probably a fake. Withour getting too deep, look at the finish and "age" of the barrel and the band.