Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .38 super

Founding Member

.38 super

I have been eyeing a colt 1911 .38 super! Does anyone here own one or shot one in the past? The ballistics and energy levels look sweet! Besides they look SWEET!!!! Peace toolman

Ya but what about ammo? I hear that even if you are going to reload the brass is rather hard to come by?
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Now you have me thinking... Combat Commander in .38 Super... wonder if I can find a cheap one?
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melloman View Post
    Now you have me thinking... Combat Commander in .38 Super... wonder if I can find a cheap one?

Find me one also please!! Peace toolman

I found one in .45 but it was somebody's project gun so it didn't work smoothly. I did a little research to see if I could troubleshoot it and came to the conclusion that I lack the skills to repair it. So I bought a nice Colt 1908 vest pocket hammerless in .25 acp instead. I know, useless caliber but have always wanted one because I think that they are neat. Besides, I don't care what anyone says about the round's effectiveness; I know that I would never stand in front of it. Little pistol throws brass at least 25' away which is a pain because I am reloading this round now too. Tough to spot the spent casings at the range.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

Patriot
    An interesting project I went through is the alteration of the extractor for 9mm long/9mm Bayard as the ammo was real cheap. It worked just fine in my Colt and You don't worry about the brass as you can't reload it (Berdan). The ammo disappeared and it is back to the Super 38 with the original 38 extractor. I now have a Star chambered for the 9mm Bayard that I altered a barrel and extractor for 38 Super. Gun was very clean and CHEAP but well made and handles the super just fine.The difference appears to be just the rim as the super has a rim and the 9mmB doesn't.
    Mix

I have a Commander in Super .38 and I love it, but Orlando is correct ammo availability is usually iffy, esp if you want something other that FMJ.
    But I love it, less recoil than my .45 (which is my usual carry piece) and good ballistics.

Junior Cadet
    You can reload it fine ,there is new brass out there. I load the Nolser 115-gr. hp over 6.8 grs of Unique for 1300 fps. Good accurate shooting load in the colt Goverment super. A new Rock island 38 super is near $500 new a Colt twice that. Smooth shooting and very accurate with good power.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandolier View Post
    You can reload it fine ,there is new brass out there. I load the Nolser 115-gr. hp over 6.8 grs of Unique for 1300 fps. Good accurate shooting load in the colt Goverment super. A new Rock island 38 super is near $500 new a Colt twice that. Smooth shooting and very accurate with good power.
    I have found a colt for 949.00 And a rock island for 545.00 .. both are nice! Peace toolman

Junior Cadet
    I own a RIA 9mm Luger and I added a 38 Super barrel to the pistol box as well. I use 9mm SuperComp or 9mm Largo brass from Starline Brass so I didn't have to adjust the breechface of the pistol. The 9mm SuperComp cases are rimless 38 Supers which are designed to handle up to 147gr bullets without bulging the brass. I use the 9mm Largo cases for 124gr/130gr loads.
    https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-...23-Comp-Brass/
    https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-...M-Largo-Brass/

loaded properly they are hotter than 9mm Para and just a touch cooler than 357Magnums.

Love the caliber.

Bruce