Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anyone care to identify this Garand?

Your gas port is still out the bottom, the .100 marking is for the vent.

Junior Cadet
    Interesting.

So I'm guessing the op rod is a cut down and modified M1 Garand op rod, correct?

^^
    Yes and no, it appears another rod was welded to the original rod.

Junior Cadet
    That's what I was figuring as I googled around just now.

Well, gotta say this has been one of my cooler purchases. Now I just have to go shoot it!

Make sure you let us know how it goes, very cool piece... in my opinion.

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Make sure you let us know how it goes, very cool piece... in my opinion.
    Absolutely!

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    Greg, that's why I want to mate a Garand receiver to M14 parts. I would end up with an M14 with a real receiver. I would prefer to get my hands on one of the old re-milled M14 receivers but I hear they are pretty scarce.
    It's been talked about quite recently. Kind of a "universal" type receiver thing. Maybe the IAI/
    CAI receivers could be worth a look. Hybrid op rod is no problem as new production handles are in the pipeline and it would be easy to source tube to weld to Garand op rod handle. Garand bolts are still really quite cheap. As long as there are enough M1 receivers around it should not be too big a deal. Barrel threads are the same I believe. Now....let's see....maybe a "kit" could done?

Quote Originally Posted by ordmm View Post
    It's been talked about quite recently. Kind of a "universal" type receiver thing. Maybe the IAI/
    CAI receivers could be worth a look. Hybrid op rod is no problem as new production handles are in the pipeline and it would be easy to source tube to weld to Garand op rod handle. Garand bolts are still really quite cheap. As long as there are enough M1 receivers around it should not be too big a deal. Barrel threads are the same I believe. Now....let's see....maybe a "kit" could done?
    I really truly believe that a good receiver for BM59 and M14 conversions is the drill rifles from the CMP. I'm going to talk to my insurance company about this and see if they can offer me some leniency and not require liability releases. I own 3 drill rifle receivers for my own rifles and they act just perfectly. I am not convinced that there is any danger in using these receivers. This all said, this comment I am making in NO way is to be considered as my saying that drill rifle/demilled/or any receiver with any sort of weld is safe.

Patriot
    On those CMP Drill Rifles, whats usable on them? Barrel is shot, bolt is shot, but is the oprod, gas cylinder, Trigger Group, ect salvageable (assuming those parts in-spec)?

I have a H&R Correct I don't shoot much, a 308 shooter, and a 30-06 Mini-G. Thinking about building a new 30-06 shooter. Is buying one of these and putting a new barrel / bolt in it worth it? I know I could buy a service grade, but I like projects.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by jbkf1003 View Post
    On those CMP Drill Rifles, whats usable on them? Barrel is shot, bolt is shot, but is the oprod, gas cylinder, Trigger Group, ect salvageable (assuming those parts in-spec)?

I have a H&R Correct I don't shoot much, a 308 shooter, and a 30-06 Mini-G. Thinking about building a new 30-06 shooter. Is buying one of these and putting a new barrel / bolt in it worth it? I know I could buy a service grade, but I like projects.

Justin
    If you are willing to fend for yourself, assume responsibility for your actions, most of the time you can use the receiver. Barrels, gas cylinders, gas locks, gas screws, junk.