Thread: Anyone care to identify this Garand?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Junior Cadet
    Sorry it took me so long to come back and respond. I am currently up in Oregon just having fun at the moment chasing steelhead and salmon and apparently failing at it. Luckily the crappie at the local stocked park pond are biting on salmon eggs because I was about to throw in the towel, haha. About to go to the store to get Kwikfish lures, sardines and roe. I'll be damned if I don't exhaust all options!

Quote Originally Posted by seaninmich View Post
    I've never seen one like it and, in all likelihood, it is the only one like this. The design is poor, at best. Definitely a civilian cut up, most likely a "garage gunsmith". I would be shocked if you were able to find out who built it. In fact, I doubt the guy that did it had the proper manufacturing license so even if you could find him, he'd be smart to deny it.

Does it run?
    This build doesn't strike me as a crappy build put together by someone that didn't know what he was doing. Different and unorthodox but not crappy. I could be partial to it since I bought it and I like it but while pulling it apart I didn't say to myself "self, this looks like shat"

I do not know if it runs as I have not fired it yet. The idea I have is to load up some light cartridges and test fire until it cycles reliably. Not pictured is a hole on the right side of the gas block that I believe is for bleeding off excessive gas (could be wrong but that is my initial impression)

This gun was acquired via an intermediary from a lady liquidating her husband's personal collection so if he is the one that did it, I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to talk to him short of having a seance.

Quote Originally Posted by seaninmich View Post
    Sorry, just saw the part that says "I just bought this...".

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay? Were you able to run a few mags through it before you bought it?

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    I find the thing very very interesting. I'd love to see side photo's of the trigger lug and follower area. Is the oprod straight or bent? Very cool piece, in my opinion.
    I will be back in California in a few weeks. I will post more detailed photos for you at that time.

Good to know you at least like it.
    Last edited by Wojtek; 08-10-2013 at 06:38 PM.