Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone care to identify this Garand?

Junior Cadet

Anyone care to identify this Garand?

I bought this Garand the other day and I am trying to figure out exactly what it is, as I have not seen anything like it before. One gunsmith friend said it looks like a T44E2 and several other people have said that it is a home-brewed conversion. Regardless of what it is, I like it and it I am going to keep it.

Here are the relevant specs.

-Chambered in .308/7.62
    -Uses M14 magazines
    -The magazine release is a drop-in unit that fits in the receiver without further modifications to the receiver.
    -Receiver is not a cut-and-weld/hybrid.
    -Receiver is a 6 digit Springfield receiver from April 1941.
    -The end of the gas tube says ".100"

What do you (Tim Shufflin and others) think about this gun? Any idea who might have made it? I can't find anything like it and I have looked far and wide.

Photos below are of the Garand in question in comparison to a stock Garand.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I wouldn't know who made it,but I think it would benefit greatly with a dummy clip latch.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Its a civilian mag feed build, not sure whtat hey were trying to accomplish with the front end.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    Its a civilian mag feed build, not sure whtat hey were trying to accomplish with the front end.

you think they were trying to accomplish something? Looks more like someone got the front end and said "oh Sh!%. Now what do I do??"

the whole front half of that thing is truly awful - looks unfinished.
    [SIGPIC]

I've never seen one like it and, in all likelihood, it is the only one like this. The design is poor, at best. Definitely a civilian cut up, most likely a "garage gunsmith". I would be shocked if you were able to find out who built it. In fact, I doubt the guy that did it had the proper manufacturing license so even if you could find him, he'd be smart to deny it.

Does it run?
    [SIGPIC]

Sorry, just saw the part that says "I just bought this...".

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay? Were you able to run a few mags through it before you bought it?
    [SIGPIC]

Sean, you should be in charge of the welcoming committee.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    Sean, you should be in charge of the welcoming committee.
    He asked a straight forward, honest question. I gave him a straight forward honest answer. Why the hate?
    [SIGPIC]

I find the thing very very interesting. I'd love to see side photo's of the trigger lug and follower area. Is the oprod straight or bent? Very cool piece, in my opinion.

Patriot
    Very interesting, the guy who made that front end must be a lee-enfield enthusiast.