Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone care to identify this Garand?

Junior Cadet
    Sorry it took me so long to come back and respond. I am currently up in Oregon just having fun at the moment chasing steelhead and salmon and apparently failing at it. Luckily the crappie at the local stocked park pond are biting on salmon eggs because I was about to throw in the towel, haha. About to go to the store to get Kwikfish lures, sardines and roe. I'll be damned if I don't exhaust all options!

Quote Originally Posted by seaninmich View Post
    I've never seen one like it and, in all likelihood, it is the only one like this. The design is poor, at best. Definitely a civilian cut up, most likely a "garage gunsmith". I would be shocked if you were able to find out who built it. In fact, I doubt the guy that did it had the proper manufacturing license so even if you could find him, he'd be smart to deny it.

Does it run?
    This build doesn't strike me as a crappy build put together by someone that didn't know what he was doing. Different and unorthodox but not crappy. I could be partial to it since I bought it and I like it but while pulling it apart I didn't say to myself "self, this looks like shat"

I do not know if it runs as I have not fired it yet. The idea I have is to load up some light cartridges and test fire until it cycles reliably. Not pictured is a hole on the right side of the gas block that I believe is for bleeding off excessive gas (could be wrong but that is my initial impression)

This gun was acquired via an intermediary from a lady liquidating her husband's personal collection so if he is the one that did it, I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to talk to him short of having a seance.

Sorry, just saw the part that says "I just bought this...".

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay? Were you able to run a few mags through it before you bought it?

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    I find the thing very very interesting. I'd love to see side photo's of the trigger lug and follower area. Is the oprod straight or bent? Very cool piece, in my opinion.
    I will be back in California in a few weeks. I will post more detailed photos for you at that time.

Good to know you at least like it.
    Last edited by Wojtek; 08-10-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Wow, Wojtek withstood a broadside by Sean on his first post. Bravo.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    Wow, Wojtek withstood a broadside by Sean on his first post. Bravo.
    it wasn't a broadside! I just answered a question. you are are so sensitive
    [SIGPIC]

it wasn't a broadside! I just answered a question. you are are so sensitive
    I am not sensitive. Oh, by the way, the bridges of madison county is on tonight.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Junior Cadet
    Alrighty guys, I am back behind enemy lines. I took a photo of the receiver, other side of the gas block, the hole I mentioned earlier and and the op rod for you all to inspect. I forgot to ask about the whole oprod being bent or not but I can take more photos in a little while if needed.

Receiver

Gas port hole on the underside of the block. Don't know what this is for but I am assuming it is for bleeding off extra gas.

Other side of the gas block

Op rod

That is so cool! BM style (slightly) front mag catch and straight oprod going into what almost looks like an M15 style blowback system. I'm pretty sure it's just a normal piston on the end of the oprod though.

Junior Cadet
    I googled around on the M15 blowback system but I keep getting airsoft stuff. Is there a link on the subject I can look at?

Quote Originally Posted by Wojtek View Post
    I googled around on the M15 blowback system but I keep getting airsoft stuff. Is there a link on the subject I can look at?
    Edit

I think you quoted me saying M15, I meant M14. I used the term "blowback" incorrectly so strike that entirely, brain fart. As to the the difference I was trying to get to, I was wondering if this was a direct system like the M14 where the only real difference is that the M14 uses no piston, technically, and the gas is used to drive the oprod directly. The Garand uses a piston which then drives the oprod.

Bottom line, I'm just wondering if this oprod has a piston or not.

I think the M14 system is indirect-seperate piston/op-rod set up. The gas hole is too far forward to have a an M14 piston but another type? I'm curious of the hole visible in the bottom of the gas block is there as a gas vent like the M14 system. We need pics with the op rod removed.

Also, the lower band looks like it may be untized. It also looks like the front of it has been closed off like Tim's.