Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone care to identify this Garand?

War Room Ready
    Oh, my. Is that a one off constant volume, tappet gas block? Were did they machine the spacer block, I see in Pic 4, to fit in the receiver? Take more pics. That is a very unique riffle. And, your right. I doesn't look like it was a shoddy attempt.

Junior Cadet
    I will get photos of the disassembled gas system components this week.

Lots of good info in this thread, I dig it.

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    Also, the lower band looks like it may be untized. It also looks like the front of it has been closed off like Tim's.

Was thinking the same thing. Was thinking of trying (when time permits and my experimental lab staff has time) getting the casting guru to try a "unitized" lower band/gas cylinder. Thnking why not incorporate a gas adj valve. Why not? The crazy thing is it's all irrelevant on improving (or screwing up) the Garand rifle but just wonder about it's application to custom build M1's. Another thing is....how short can the op spring be? That's another one I"ll have to pass on the the mad builder. Some of this stuff, like the one in this thread, is really neat. Kinda opens up a whole new collecting category. I really meant it. Lot's of variations of home built modified Garands.
    Last edited by ordmm; 09-03-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by ordmm View Post
    Was thinking the same thing. Was thinking of trying (when time permits and my experimental lab staff has time) getting the casting guru to try a "unitized" lower band/gas cylinder. Thnking why not incorporate a gas adj valve. Why not? The crazy thing is it's all irrelevant on improving (or screwing up) the Garand rifle but just wonder about it's application to custom build M1's. Another thing is....how short can the op spring be? That's another one I"ll have to pass on the the mad builder. Some of this stuff, like the one in this thread, is really neat. Kinda opens up a whole new collecting category. I really meant it. Lot's of variations of home built modified Garands.
    Glad someone likes it!

I am hoping this rifle is going to be a good one to shoot. I haven't tried it out yet because I wanted to know more about it (this is a fairly decent divergence from the Garand IMHO), not to mention that I haven't gotten any ammo for it just yet.

Greg, I would love to see a M1 op rod mated to an M14 one, and using an M14 gas system.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Patriot
    Stu,,,,I go crazy when I read all he stuff about the M14 rifle. Yeah, it's one cool looking rifle. And to be sure the last of the "wood and steel rifles". But Gheezuz...take a look at what Beretta did with the Garand modifications. Think about how much time and money could have been saved by using the Beretta BM59 over the M14. So, when you consider all the drama about who makes the best M14 make believe receiver, and "how come I have problems with my make believe" m14 receiver, and "how come "I can't headspace my M`14 receiver" and "the heel stamp on brand x looks better than the heel stamp on brand z"...what a bunch of boring crapola. Garand receivers, tried and true, any of the bad ones surely have been culled out after 60 years. Stu,,,,,has your BM clone ever failed? Yeah, my point exactly. Modified Garands are cool. Same as injected '55 Chevy's and 48 Anglias were cool. That's all I can say about it. Be cool.

Patriot
    Since I mentioned '55 Chevys were cool...I know...it's off topic.

http://pinterest.com/pin/68398488063627842/

And, yes. August 1970 is correct. Gheez, that was along time ago.

War Room Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    Greg, I would love to see a M1 op rod mated to an M14 one, and using an M14 gas system.
    I second that.

Greg, that's why I want to mate a Garand receiver to M14 parts. I would end up with an M14 with a real receiver. I would prefer to get my hands on one of the old re-milled M14 receivers but I hear they are pretty scarce.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Junior Cadet
    Alright, got some more photos.

Here are photos of the op rod.

Now another cool part. It turns out that the gas port isn't out the bottom but out the FRONT. I took a photo of the gas piston housing (hope that is right) looking out towards the end of the barrel to show the light at the end of the tunnel. It seems that my rifle does self-regulate after all.