Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What don't you believe about M1 Collecting?!

What don't you believe about M1 Collecting?!

Okay, you've been collecting the M1 Garand Rifle for a spell now. You've heard this, that, and the other thing about all manners of M1 collecting. You've heard that the parkerizing is #$W#W$ and @#$%$%, you've heard that #$ bolt is correct for all Garands in this date range. You may have heard something that just doesn't add up to you in any way. THAT is what this thread is for.

What don't you buy into about the M1 Garand?

I'd like to take these items, when this thread runs its course, and tackle one at a time until we get through the list. For now, bring it!

I don't believe that the experts know what the hell they are talking about.
    !

Actually there are two myths I don't buy; First only "original" M1 Garands will go up in price and parkerizing them lessens the value. Second parts rifles aren't collectable and will never be worth what original are worth. Regarding #1-I've always thought good looking rifles sell first and bring the same or close to the same price as originals. #2-Corrent me if I wrong but if a rifle has been through an armory it's pretty much a parts gun.
    Bill

I agree with Bill.

I don't agree that guns put together by people in their garage with parts that are all stamped the same are worth any more money than the rifle I purchased that was assembled by an armorer during a rebuild.

I also don't believe that every service grade rifle that the CMP sells has the opposite manufacturer's bolt when they get them.
    Josh
    M1CC #628
    GySgt/USMC
    6116/0931

1) It's only original once.
    1A) Correct is still more desireable than a mish mosh of parts. (Just because a FORD seat fits in your Chevy, do you really want to mix and match?/Jap aircleaner on your Harley?)
    2) To each their own.....
    Last edited by BRUTUS; 05-31-2011 at 09:41 PM.

War Room Ready
    I have worked on military weapons for more than 20 years now. I don't think that the guys fixing garands would be any different than we are. Parts are parts. After the first trip to the small arms shop, the originality is gone.

I don't believe that the Danish or Greek guns are not collectible. Both are a big part of garand history.

I don't believe that bolts were lapped to each rifle.

I don't believe that Winchester machining standards are nearly as good as SA or HRA. Heck, probably not as good as IHC. I've often thought of a new ad for my company, "machining to Winchester standards".

I don't believe that there is one single Garand, past rifle number 1000, that anyone really knows what "correct" is.

Patriot
    I do not believe I have a problem collecting M1s!