Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What don't you believe about M1 Collecting?!

Patriot
    I believe my name says it all! If you have an "original" you bought the story and not the gun. I rebuilt too many firearms for the military to believe an original is out there on the market. If the part fit and was current it went on we were not worried about "collector rifles" only wanted them to function properly. What you got was a mish mash of parts we had in stock and oh yeah if we did not have the new improved part an ONS part was used.There are "correct" rifles for sale but I know guys like us did it.Just ask any one of us. Sorry Tim if this is not what you were looking for on this thread.
    Mixmaster
    Last edited by mixmaster; 06-01-2011 at 12:14 AM.

I still can't believe it's not butter!

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I don't believe that anything is"set in stone"when it comes to M1's anymore.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

I believe that it is in the eye of the beholder. All of mine are correct and each one is in never issused condition. Don't care what the other guy says "IT'S MINE!!!" Ha!!
    "No man who is not willing to bear arms and to fight for his rights can give a good reason why he should be entitled to the privilege of living in a free community." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTUS View Post
    1) It's only original once.
    1A) Correct is still more desireable than a mish mosh of parts. (Just because a FORD seat fits in your Chevy, do you really want to mix and match?/Jap aircleaner on your Harley?)
    2) To each their own.....
    Yup.........
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Stu has a photo of some oprod that is thought to be "correct" by some at the GCA. Correct me if I'm wrong stu but that was in an article two years ago? Then some guy posted about that exact oprod on the CMP forum.

Anyways, all the stuff I just wrote does not matter except that I don't believe that this oprod is "correct" either. Stu, if you have a photo, show it. The oprod appears to be a modified rod, like any other, except that some in the GCA are now saying that the "mod" is where the end mill went to far and cut the notch. Here's my rub, WHO in the blazes would use such a small end mill in the first place to make such a cut on the rest of the rod handle? I know my government is a bunch of numbnuts but we're talking about everyday Joes here who want the biggest baddest tool available to get the job done fast.

War Room Ready
    I do not believe that headspace matters on an M1. Any bolt/any rifle, as long as the bolt closes on a round.

I think no matter what,They are all correct,UNLESS you find some Chinese symbles in it.ha ha
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

I believe that all Garands should be sent to Tim and turned into Mini-Gs. End this argument once and for all.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Anyways, all the stuff I just wrote does not matter except that I don't believe that this oprod is "correct" either. Stu, if you have a photo, show it. The oprod appears to be a modified rod, like any other, except that some in the GCA are now saying that the "mod" is where the end mill went to far and cut the notch. Here's my rub, WHO in the blazes would use such a small end mill in the first place to make such a cut on the rest of the rod handle?

I hope I don't step on any toes with this, but...

I would like to see Stu's pic too. I can remember seeing a similar op rod, when I was looking for one to finish up my M1. Knowing nothing at the time, at all, about them, it definitely didn't look like it was done accidentally. I should've taken a pic of it when I had the chance.

I know nothing of how they ran the milling machines that made the op rods. Having said that, wouldn't there have been a stop set up to make sure the end mill didn't go past that point? I'm assuming the op rod in question was made at a point before anyone knew about the relief cuts, or at least before modifying them was common practice.