Thread: Ar 15-22

Patriot

Question Ar 15-22

Does anyone here have any experience with these?

My internet search leads me to believe that the M&P is the most popular. The Colt also comes up frequently in the searches.

I'm looking for pros and cons of the various models etc. Also, I am not interested in conversions. I want a dedicated 22.

Thanks

My uncle has a .22 m&p. It is what it is. Never made sense to me. Same price as larger caliber. Just ablittle cheaper to shoot. Made more sense when .22 was cheap and plentiful.

Down side is same as pretty much any .22 semi - chamber gets dirty fast and it fails to cycle.
    [SIGPIC]

I have seen guys with them at the range and they always seem to have jamming problems. I have no idea of what brand they had
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Patriot
    Thanks guys. The price on them has been the hold up. May have to pass until I can find a motivated seller of a used one.

I seem to remember the prices of them being considerably lower than a "real" AR...before the panic started about a year ago, the M&P was going for under $400 if you got it on sale, and the cheapest AR you could get would run a bit over $500 (a DIY build, buying parts when they were on sale).

I looked into getting one, and from what I remember reading, the S&W was the most highly regarded, the Colt a little less so, and the others were pretty largely panned (Mossberg, Chiappa, etc).

I'd been pretty happy with my conversion kit in my "real" AR, so I never talked myself into buying one, although if I did, I'd lean toward the Smith, personally. If you already have an AR, though, it'd be a hard choice between a .22lr caliber AR or just getting a dedicated upper and some magazines for a few dollars less.

My uncle paid $599 for his .22 m&p 3 or 4 years ago. He is truly the tightest person i have ever met, so im ckmfortable saying he got it as cheaply as possible at the time
    [SIGPIC]

A friend has had an M&P for a couple of years. Paid under $400 for it then. Very accurate and reliable and less "plasticky" than the Mossberg. Magazines are a bit of a PITA to load though. My brother in law has the Mossberg and by comparison it is a POS; though it shot well too. Those magazines just plain sucked to load.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

Junior Cadet
    The 15-22s are all over for around $450. Here's one: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ollapsible+Sto

Mine has been reliable with everything except the Remington Golden Bullet bulk junk. I also have a dedicated 22LR CMMG upper that runs well also.

That said, they are never going to be as reliable as a centerfire version of the same gun. Too much going on with that outside lubed lead bullet in a rimfire case.

Junior Cadet
    FNG here.....I bought a SW-15-22 for 400ish and absolutely love it. Functions flawlessly and a lot of fun to shoot especially since 22 prices are slowly coming back to reality.
    My Son in law has the Colt version and he really dislikes how it comes apart for cleaning. If you keep the weapon clean it will function just fine.

Jim USN 71-72 USAR 2000-2003

FWIW, I don't have a dedicate rifle but I do have a dedicated .22 upper from "Tactical Solutions". With the "Black Dog" mags it runs fine, never had a single issue.