Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This was probaly the WORST question to ask....

War Room Ready
    "Join Date: Oct 2009
    I'm an artist and a craftsman of considerable skill. I do beautiful work and I'm honest, polite and fair. These qualities place my services well above the norm. As was mentioned earlier one of my credos has always been "Price, Quality, Speed...pick two. Another comes from an old partner, "You must come to the flame, the flame will not come to you.". What am I going on about? The skilled practitioner always has the upper hand. Simple economics, too much money chasing too few goods. Everybody has money but few have skills. If there's anything I don't like about a customer or a deal I politely hand them their hat and direct them to a competitor. There's always another customer. After 35 years in business, I'm still here doing beautiful work, still picking and choosing my clients. So with nothing but love for those who would like my services, it's still "My way or the highway..."
    I expect the CMP Custom Shop is thinking this way too.
    The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right. ~Mark Twain"

Perfect example of what Mr. Shufflin was getting at. I deal with an automotive machinist that's just like this. The contempt he holds makes it impossible to deal with him and the older he gets the worse he gets. I understand the "Price, Quality, Speed" theory, it was in a movie that explained it quite well. But I am a human and when I hand over cash and get phone calls every couple months for 12 months needing more cash because prices changed, I am going to get a little upset. There are few rainmakers in this world and a lot who think they are. Unfortunately the human psyche perceives long wait times with a long customers list as something that must be beholding if so many are wanting and willing to wait. Well, I have waited in line 3 hours for many of a roller coaster ride and nun have been a revelation.

I'd love to know what that guy does for a living and the name of his business. I'd like to look him up to verify his claim. Usually those "craftsmen" of "considerable skill" do no need to tell others about it. Those that feel they need make those claims usually are not "craftsmen of considerable skill".

I also like the assertion at the end "I expect the CMP Custom Shop is thinking this way too.". How is it that the CMP Custom Shop has not done one job yet and they already have a positive reputation? I would think that someone with 35 years of "considerable skill" would know you have to build a reputation.
    !

Patriot
    Orest's response shows him to be a prick running a monopoly. He would not last long in the for profit private sector.

I'm with Orlando and his comments on the CMP thread. If someone asks about the time, quality etc., refer them to Shuff.

Patriot
    Well. To say the least some of the replies were quite interesting. The upside it sounds like Tim is going to get all the overflow work.
    Tim,,,,Time to hire more Toby's!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ordmm View Post
    Well. To say the least some of the replies were quite interesting. The upside it sounds like Tim is going to get all the overflow work.
    Tim,,,,Time to hire more Toby's!!!!

Yah right, I won't be holding my breath.

Founding Member
    Okay, But still believe it will lead to Gold for you, Tim..reading that thread on CMp was very amusing, esp. since I am a newby on the web, but for certain not a wet-eared kid..I waited almost 4 mos for that service grade HRA rifle, then they mixed the parts up, in usual fashion.There was no other place to get one for that price, since i do not have a FFL, and none in the local stores?

Tim said:
    "You can get quality in five business days"!

That's why you have a following and regular customers, Tim. You seem to have set a new industry standard. I had the chance to look over a couple of Mini G's at a local gun show recently. The work was excellent and the rifles looked awesome. You have a product that people can use and are proud to own. kwg

Quote Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
    Tim said:
    "You can get quality in five business days"!

That's why you have a following and regular customers, Tim. You seem to have set a new industry standard. I had the chance to look over a couple of Mini G's at a local gun show recently. The work was excellent and the rifles looked awesome. You have a product that people can use and are proud to own. kwg
    Well right now that 5 day thing has gone to hell. I have to probably stop taking work now until I get this stupid carpal tunnel taken care of. I'm so booked up after the 2012 gun scares and then just when I'm about to get caught up, stupid medical issue. Why can't the savages do their killing with a Toyota Prius and leave the gun industry be.

Junior Cadet
    Tim, I recently sent my Garand trigger in for a trigger job. Should I expect to wait until you get your carpal tunnel taken care of, or are you still working?