Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinoins on Replica 1930A4s?

Opinoins on Replica 1930A4s?

I'm looking at buying a replica 1903a4, and was looking for opinions and experience on what's out there.

I'm currently looking at the Gibbs 1903-a4:
    http://www.gibbsrifle.com/1903-a4_sniper_rifle_.html

Gibbs 1903A4-84 (okay, technically not available yet):
    http://www.gibbsrifle.com/1903a4_-_84_sniper_rifle.html

James River Armory 1903A4:
    http://www.jamesriverarmory.com/worl...er-detail.html

and the Creedmore 1903a4:
    http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/...le.html?page=1

Obviously, collectability isn't the key criterion here. I want to have it for target shooting and for vintage milsurp events at my local club range (they're somewhat flexible on "as-issued" rules). Quality of build is most important, accuracy second. I don't want something full of Chinese knockoff parts of questionable metallurgy. And yes, I realize all of the vendors above seem to be using recovered drill receivers.

Please let me know what you think, and if someone knows of better, higher-quality alternatives that won't be budget busters, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Allen

I always heard these are reactivated drill rifles. Thats not a problem in itself but the companys selling them and not saying thats what they are leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

War Room Ready
    I found a receiver that had been drilled and tapped, and made my own.

I built mine on a sporterized O3A3. The only sporterizing was a beautiful installation of an old Redfield scope base. The rifle was fitted with a 3-9 variable. The base and rings are Redfield (the ring in the photos are still the old repros). The stock is a Keystone C stock. The rifle is super accurate with a mirror bore with a MW of less than 1. The bolt had already been bent for scope clearance but I did the dremel work to sort of get it looking almost like an original A4. Tim blued the bolt body and machined the Post-War Redfield base to the same profile as the WWII.

I have since replaced the striker with the proper 03A3 type, I replaced the windage screws with the earlier color case hardened ones, and replaced the repro rings with original Redfields. The light grey park has darkened considerably over the last year or so and is starting to blend right in.The receiver has the milled notch in it for the A4 bolt.

It was not an inexpensive operation but is a close as I can get right now to an original.
    Last edited by Punch The Clown; 11-30-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Another option is to contact Ceresco on the CMP forums. He builds some nice repros, all GI parts, at a price so low I'm not sure how he does it. Stu
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Man, that is one really nice looking rifle! I have to ask though, you said 3x9? The scope in the photo is a 3x9? My eyes aren't what they used to be so a straight 4x scope is a reach for me on some days.

I'm not sure if the Rock Ridge guns are welded or not... I found this written about them... " NOTE: Both the A3s and A4s use intact receivers, NOT re-welded decommissioned versions."

It came with a 3-9. That is a 2 1/2x. Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    It came with a 3-9. That is a 2 1/2x. Stu
    For us blind old guys someone needs to repo a line of vintage scope with modern power.

Founding Member
    Stu, that is one sweet rifle..As to demilled or rewelded,,Not to be mistaken for the drill or Parade rifles being commissioned again..they might be able to hide the spot welds verywell..I had considered shooting mine again..The barrel was not altered in any way..The firing pin was welded in the bolt , a single weld to the top of reciever and barrel joint, plus the rear sight was removed and the pin and blade removed from the front...easy to change and leave weld to the barrel..,,Now the CHROME that is another story and the plastic top cover for the barrel..But it would be a real effort to locate parts and make it an A4 version..later..Og.

I just find it amazing the way these old work horses, of all types, can be put through so much and be made to work again.

Salute to those that do it right.