Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M16 chrome bolt assy

War Room Ready

M16 chrome bolt assy

I ended up with a few original M16 chrome bolt assy, without the forward assist notches cut in them. I also ended up with a couple of uppers with no fwd assist, and new barrels. Can anyone tell me what this stuff is worth?

Thanks
    Joe

War Room Ready
    Are the barrels chromed lined, just the chamber or the very early non? Uppers colt marked?

USGI Uppers? New USGI barrels? If so I may be interested
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Founding Member
    Chromebolt assy were used on some instructional weapons, for school..My Army manual says "not for field use"..I bet the chrome would eat up the recievers inside, esp with any grit??

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
    Chromebolt assy were used on some instructional weapons, for school..My Army manual says "not for field use"..I bet the chrome would eat up the recievers inside, esp with any grit??
    Chrome bolts and bolt carriers were used on earlier A1's. They are also available as new commercial made parts.
    I dont see that they would wear receivers any more than standard carriers as they still need lubed,they are much easier to clean

Last edited by Orlando; 11-21-2013 at 10:03 AM.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

Founding Member
    Neither did I, But there has to be a reason for that statement in the M-16 Army repair manual??...The earlest SP-1 rifles did not have forward assist, nor the cuts to the carrier....You could not close a stuck or partially open bolt with out pulling the charger handle back and releasing it again.. Personally, Our new Colt rifles were a pain in the butt...someone had removed the bolts and put Them in the safes, without the serial numbers..The rifles did not like having parts interchanged, WHY< Not known, by me.. But when we went out for firing, a lot of them hung-up and would not fire....I Never liked the rattling of the stock inside when firing, I joined in calling it "a Mattel rifle", Signed up and got an M-60 weapon to use in a real emergency, plus it was fun to shoot..We also had Stevens Pump guns for "Street duty", With the 16 inch bayonet...Now, I wondered off subject, Sorry to OP..

What year did they come out with the forward assist? Here's a picture of my Dad at Firebase Bearcat in '67 (note the forward assist).

[IMG][/IMG]

War Room Ready
    I was in the coast guard, and we had original m16's with chrome bolt, no fwd assist, and 3 pronged flash surpressor. They did use them in production rifles, but I think they only issued them to the Air Force originally.

Quote Originally Posted by jjones View Post
    I was in the coast guard, and we had original m16's with chrome bolt, no fwd assist, and 3 pronged flash surpressor. They did use them in production rifles, but I think they only issued them to the Air Force originally.
    The pic of my 602 above is a Air Force replica build, they were used by others military but most went to the Air Force

Jimbo, I love the pic of your Dad, I think the forward assist was first used in 67

War Room Ready
    Usgi chrome bore marked c mp chrome bore.
    Upper is marked c in a box