Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are ebay buyers stupid?

Are ebay buyers stupid?

Hi All

The title is the question. Over the last month, I have sold a certin rifle part on ebay. I will not tell you what as I plan to corner the market on these. and am going to keep buying as long as the supply holds out.

That being said , I have been buying this part for $9.25. I have been selling for $35.00 with free shipping. Even with the fees I am making over $15.00 each.

I guess what I am asking is if I can find the supplier that has these for $9.25(and believe me my google foo is not that good), why can't they?

Mike
    Staten Island German Martial Arts (S.I.G.M.A.)
    http://www.sigmanewyork.webs.com/

Time to feed the pigs!!!!!!

The sword of time will pierce our skins
    It doesn't hurt when it begins
    But as it works its way on in
    The pain grows stronger...watch it grin.

Yes. Absolutely. I plan on taking advantage of them ASAP.
    !

Mike, there are a lot of reasons I buy on ebay. First of all, it keeps my wife out of the loop. Paypal is my secret, and there are times when it is worth it to me to pay extra just to keep what's little left of my marriage intact. Second, most ebay purchases get to your house in a couple of days. I've bought parts from known web sites and have had delivery times of a month or more.
    Another thing is there are many folks out there that aren't computer savvy and all they know is ebay. Stu
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Simple answer, marketing. Marketing is bringing people to your products and services and ebay is a great conduit for this. Having a site somewhere that has your product is not enough, you have to market that product. You have found a way to sell that millions of other people have found as well. I would use ebay as well, if I could.

Patriot
    Mike,,,,know what your saying....Thought the same thing a bunch of times when selling parts to Stu...but what the hey...us gentiles got to eat to. Just a joke Stu!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ordmm View Post
    Mike,,,,know what your saying....Thought the same thing a bunch of times when selling parts to Stu...but what the hey...us gentiles got to eat to. Just a joke Stu!!!!!
    When the International Jewish World Domination Association calls me up and tells me that it's my turn to run the world, I will be kind to all of my Gentile friends. That's just the way I roll.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Me first Stu !
    M1CC #328

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    When the International Jewish World Domination Association calls me up and tells me that it's my turn to
    run the world, I will be kind to all of my Gentile friends. That's just the way I roll.

.....The I.J.W.D.A. Easy Hammer.....Lots of these guys don't know who they are dealing with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VDs5OPa7Ng

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    When the International Jewish World Domination Association calls me up and tells me that it's my turn to
    run the world, I will be kind to all of my Gentile friends. That's just the way I roll.

.....The I.J.W.D.A. Easy Hammer.....Lots of these guys don't know who they are dealing with. One bad 'mofo' to be sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VDs5OPa7Ng

Quote Originally Posted by axemurderer View Post
    Hi All

The title is the question. Over the last month, I have sold a certin rifle part on ebay. I will not tell you what as I plan to corner the market on these. and am going to keep buying as long as the supply holds out.

That being said , I have been buying this part for $9.25. I have been selling for $35.00 with free shipping. Even with the fees I am making over $15.00 each.

I guess what I am asking is if I can find the supplier that has these for $9.25(and believe me my google foo is not that good), why can't they?

Mike

There are a lot of factors that play into why Ebay numbers are so high. With respect to your specific item, although it may seem to you that your buyers are "overpaying", consider a few things.

So, you can find them for $9.25. is that delivered to your door? or is there some shipping cost? Can you purchase just one at that price? What is the delivery time from that vendor as opposed to delivery time from you to your buyers? You say it's easy to find using google, but how easy, really?

Not knowing what your parts is, I'll assume that for most end users, it's a one-time purchase. So, in your eyes they are "overpaying" by somewhere in the $25 range. OK, but how much time do ALL of the above questions consume? How much does the average person value their time?

I can tell you that if you sat me down and said "I can sell you this part for $35 right now or, if you want, you can spend about half an hour surfing the net and googling and you can find it for under $10" that I would hand you the $35 and be happy and on my way. 30 minutes of my life is worth more than the lousy $25 I can "save" tracking it down for myself.
    [SIGPIC]