Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: M1 garand vs M1a

Cadet

M1 garand vs M1a

I've recently watched a couple of YouTube videos posted by a guy named "NutnFancy". He does a nice review of the Garand but also seems to like the M1a as well. I'm interested in learning from dyed in the wool Garand guys what makes it a better rifle than the M1a. I examined one at a local gunship recently and my first impression was that it was much more cheaply made than the Garand. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Mark

Patriot
    The two rifles are very similar, and will provide similar accuracy.

Any M1A / M14 you get today will have a commercial receiver. Some of these are forged (big $$$) others like the Springfield M1A are cast. The Garand is 100% USGI (in most cases), with a hammer forged receiver. The operating principal is very similar to the M14 (M1a is a trademarked name from the commercial Springfield Armory Inc. Company, but the rifle is a Semi Auto Clone of the M14 Service Rifle). They even share a lot of parts.

The Big M14 'advantages' over the M1 are:
    1. Easier to scope
    2. detachable mag (arguable is this is better or not. Mags can be finiky and expensive, the M1 Garand Enbloc clip design just works, they are cheap, and plentiful. A skilled rifleman can insert an enbloc faster than changing a mag)
    3. Gas Piston Design (not really a big deal, you can bend Garand oprods but it's rare)
    4. Bolt Roller (no biggie here, Garand bolts work just fine)
    5. Surplus ammo is still being produced. (HXP is still cheaper from CMP, but will eventually dry up)

Garand Advantages:
    1. Parts are by far more available and a lot cheaper. NOS USGI Garand bolts are ~$75, NOS USGI M14 Bolts ~$400.
    2. All USGI Parts
    3. Hammer Forged Receivers
    4. You can own a rifle actually used in combat. All original M14s are select fire and not readily available to civilians.
    5. Rifle is cheaper. $625 CMP SG vs $1200 M1A (high end rifles are more)

Justin
    Last edited by jbkf1003; 12-12-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    The one thing I can think of that was a negative was a week long Antelope hunt,that magazine was digging into me so bad that after I took my goat I shelved it and grabbed the M1 for deer.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Patriot
    Another thing, Most of SAI's M1A small parts are cast or Metal Injection Molded. Their extractors particularly suck. Guys have had them break after as few as a couple rounds. They routinely get replaced with GI parts to make the rifle serviceable. Bottom line a $625 CMP Service Grade is by far a higher quality rifle than a Springfield M1A that costs more than double.

An M14 of similar quality to an M1 can be built, but you will be in the $2500-$3000 range.

Justin

I am not saying one is better than the other. I guess it depends what you are using it for

In a SHTF I would grab my M1A , I would trust my life with it. (yes I am a die hard Garand guy) I had this one built last year with all USGI parts on a Fulton receiver and have around $1800 in it

Would I trust my life to a new SAI M1A? well maybe after I replaced cast bolt parts and ran 500 rds through it
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    I am not saying one is better than the other. I guess it depends what you are using it for.in a SHTF I would grab my M1A , I would trust my life with it. (yes I am a die hard Garand guy) I had this one built last year with all USGI parts on a

Would I trust my life to a new SAI M1A? well maybe after I replaced cast bolt parts and ran 500 rds through it
    Pretty much the same for me,if i was in a shtf scenerio,I would like the 20 rnd mag better than a 8 rnd clip,and mine is built with all usgi H&R parts.I had some SAinc parts and they were junk..especially the extractor,it deformed quickly!
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Patriot
    Get the best of both worlds, get a Mag Fed Garand. $625 + $800 = $1425 About the same price as a Springfield M1A, but pure USGI Forged Goodness.

Founding Member
    I guess I can learn something every day..I saw these M1a rifles for about 1400 at the local stores, used, 1599 brand new..Had no Idea they had degraded their parts.... I like my older 14s polytech, it shoots reliably and uses usgi mags..Good thing i bought it. But Really do enjoy shooting the garand and her Ping...???The Mag-fed garand sounds like a beautiful plan... Og.

Patriot
    The older M1A (70s-Early 90s) used a lot of USGI surplus parts. Not so much any more.

Get an M1 rebarrreled for .308/7.62, and the surplus ammo availability issue disappears. My .308 M1 is more accurate and seems to have less felt recoil (with the same size projectile) than any of my 30-06 M1s.