Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: M1 garand vs M1a

Guys like omalley & cuomo live in an echo chamber, surrounded by people of like opinion. As far as they can tell, everyone supports their position, because nobody who disagrees ever gets close enough to converse with them.
    Anyway, back to the M1A vs. Garand discussion...I was seriously considering picking up one of the forged M1A receivers before the new law preventing purchase (but not possession) of them kicked in Oct 1, but decided that the only reason I was considering one was as a middle finger to those who backed the new law. Anything I could use an M1A for, a Garand (or derivative such as the Mini-G) will do just as well, with the added benefit that each Garand is a bit of history. I already had an investment in tools, spares, and technical documentation for the Garand, so it just didn't make sense to duplicate that supporting infrastructure for another platform. And then I went ahead and bought a 1903 with the money saved...

There is one benefit to omalley running for Pres: it gets him the heck out of our state!

Cadet
    Being a fan of both the Garand, and the M1-A, and owning both, including full sized Garands in 30/06 and 308 and well made Tankers in 30/06 and 308, and regular M1-A's and 18' barreled M1-A's, I can debate the advantages/disadvantages of any of them vs the other...

The bottom line is, IMHO, is pick the one you like the best. Shoot and train with it to the best of your ability. What ever variety you pick, you are well armed...

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NE450No2 View Post
    Being a fan of both the Garand, and the M1-A, and owning both, including full sized Garands in 30/06 and 308 and well made Tankers in 30/06 and 308, and regular M1-A's and 18' barreled M1-A's, I can debate the advantages/disadvantages of any of them vs the other...

The bottom line is, IMHO, is pick the one you like the best. Shoot and train with it to the best of your ability. What ever variety you pick, you are well armed...
    Yaaah, that last little paragraph says it ....Target aquisition is the most important, Plus not having to use the sights to strike your target..Loading and operation in the total dark... if you can not make it shoot well, then none of this helps... The army taught us Quick-KILL back in 1968....A lesson well learned..

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by mike9905 View Post
    Maryland resident here. M1 Garand is legal. M1A is a banned "assault rifle". And we call ourselves "The Free State". Governor Martin O'Malley is so proud of his "Firearms Safety Act" of 2012 which banned the M1A and AR15. He thinks this will boost his chance to be elected POTUS.
    In New Jersey (where I lived until I'd had enough) the Marlin Model 60 22LR is considered an "Assault Weapon" because it's tube fed magazine holds 17 rds. And by the way, I don't have any experience with an M1A but I do love my Garand. Remember Gran Torino?

I have both, but somehow I prefer the feel of the Garand

Last edited by FluffyTheCat; 02-16-2014 at 10:47 AM.

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyTheCat View Post
    I have both, but somehow I prefer the feel of the Garand

Nice looking Garand. How much for the pup?

The dog is my best friend. I would never sell her. She is a total sweetheart. And she loves guns too.