Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: M1 garand vs M1a

Founding Member
    I still like this Idea..Now to set the money aside for another garand..7.62 version..Og

Founding Member
    Orlando, this is a very nice M1a looker..I know you have a nice hear of them too..Rifles that is...Og.

Patriot
    The Fulton Receivers are nice. I had one, sold it a while back. They are the best value out there if your going to build an M14 clone. To the OPs question, I would stay away from the Springfield M1As, if you want an M14 style rifle your better off building one from a Fulton Armory Barreled receiver and a M14 parts kit. But you will be in the $1800-$2000 range as Orlando stated.

Founding Member
    So the Fulton Armory reciever is okay?? I know the kits are not to be had..Any old rifle 14 style is netting a premium now. Too bad we cannot import from Canada..they have the stuff there..

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
    So the Fulton Armory reciever is okay?? I know the kits are not to be had..Any old rifle 14 style is netting a premium now. Too bad we cannot import from Canada..they have the stuff there..
    I bought one of the CMP M14 kits when they were available and built it into a rifle using a barrel from OOW and a bolt from Gunbroker. In total I have just under $1450 in the rifle. There were no issues with the receiver like you hear with other manufacturers. Everything went together as it should. Since then I've built one more (haven't test fired it yet though) and it went together with no issues. I know I'm no HamJoe but I'd buy a Fulton receiver again without hesitation.
    !

Patriot
    Yeah the Receivers are GTG. Not Forged, but they are fine. In-spec and they build nicely. There have been some blunders with M14 receivers out there, Fulton is GTG, LRB (Forged, double the price though) is as well, There are some new comers that are promising but it's too soon to tell on them. They are all more expensive than Fulton, though.

The Fulton receivers will still outlast me, and I'm 32. They're bolts are forged though.

The CMP kits are gone, but windy city sourcing, and treelinem14.com have them.

As I said, I had one and sold it. Just have the 4 M1s now and won't let those go.

In my opinion it's a nice to have rifle, but a M1 is every bit the rifle at 1/3 the cost. The biggest advantage the M14 has though is scope mounting. The M14 has a built in screw for a mount.

If you needed detachable mags, Tim has a conversion for that.

Justin

Founding Member
    Okay dokey, I had culled a rifle early this year..Fulton, First it was rough looking, second it is in price range of New M1a, and third, I was afraid it might have hidden problems..I did get to look at outside and could not determine it was cracked or defective..If i buy unknown, I like to test fire or at least disassemble as people will deliberately mislead you in second for a sale??

Founding Member
    1003, thanks, I am going to look at these too.og.Yikkess, Now I remember why I was shopping the BM59 rifles..Prices are still climbing on the parts..They did have the kits...Your price were pretty current..Maybe I just need to wait a bit and pick up a rifle after the new year??
    Last edited by Old Guard; 12-13-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: seconds

Patriot
    M14 versus M1? All around shooter---M1 wins. Order a $650 CMP rifle and a couple of hundred rounds of the mixed ammo for $100.00. Shoot the ammo up and if the rifle runs good your all set. If not, contact the CMP and have them resolve the issues. Deal done. Investment is half to third of a M14 clone. For average guy, the M1 will shoot as good as a M14 without all the drama. Cheap and abundant parts make the M1 an obvious choice.

I got a complete barreled receiver assembly on sale from Fulton when they were at Camp Perry during the nationals a couple of years ago. I bought a DOD stock at a gun show and got the butt plate and trigger group from Bill Ricca. I added the selector switch and connector rod for eye appeal. My total cost was less than what Fulton wants for the complete barrel/receiver assembly today. I like the lifetime warranty too.

Not great pictures...... it's too cold and windy outside today.

John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112