Thread: who shoots russian 5.45x39 ammo?

Founding Member

who shoots russian 5.45x39 ammo?

Just trying to decide the best course into buying a rifle or building one to be able to shoot this cheap ammo for fun? Og.

One of my favorite rounds.

Have a SGL-31/94 and wz.88 for the AKM side and a Piston upper and a DI upper for the AR side. I am looking at having a bolt action carbine made for this caliber as well.

If your looking for drop dead reliability, AK-74 all the way. If you want accuracy potential, the AR uppers are the clear winner.

Best,

Don

Founding Member
    Thanks, they are proud of those barrels, compared to the .556 round..i am still shopping for a decent ak-74 or kit...the big russian Ak>.308 rifle just did not feel good...and it was as large as the Fal beside it,,,,believe it was 7 hundred..

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
    Thanks, they are proud of those barrels, compared to the .556 round..i am still shopping for a decent ak-74 or kit...the big russian Ak>.308 rifle just did not feel good...and it was as large as the Fal beside it,,,,believe it was 7 hundred..
    If your looking for a AK-74, I highly recommend the SAIGA conversions by Arsenal (now FIME Group). Spendy yes, but worth every penny in my opinion.

The 5.45 uppers vary in price, but are always in short supply. Piston vs DI arguments still apply and there are merits to both systems.

Merry Christmas!

Don

Founding Member
    Thanks for the tips, at .18cents a pop, it might be worth it.. plus this round tumbles real easy...