Thread: Installing Front Sight

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Patriot

Installing Front Sight

I have an M1 Carbine with a Criterion Barrel. I needed to remove the barrel band and chop the Bayo Lug since I live in PRNY. Don't worry it's new production, I have the Matrix Precision tools. I got the pin out and sight off but it was a bear, super tight. I chopped the lug off and now I am putting the sight back on, but it's still very tight. I have it about 1/2 way on the key and it's not moving any more with the mallet on the install tool. I am thinking about backing it off again, lubing the barrel with anit-seize grease, and heating the sight with a torch before trying again. Any problem heating the sight up? Or any other suggestions / tricks you guys have?

Thanks
    Justin
    Last edited by jbkf1003; 12-27-2013 at 04:44 PM.

When we heat bearings and the like at work, we use an electric heater and go no higher than 350deg. Perhaps putting the sight in an oven would be safer than setting it under a rosebud or some such device.

Of course a hot oil bath would provide the most even heat.

Remove the sight and make sure there are no burrs on the key or key slot. I also had the key move slightly and get out of alignment that made installing the sight impossible. Also make sure you are installing the sight in the correct orientation so you don't have to remove it again and reverse it. (Ask me how I know).
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

Patriot
    I got it on, a little heat, a good deal of neverseize, and a lot of malleting.