Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone building a retro AR?

I built one a few years back I used one of the nodak receivers and one of them kit from Malaysia. inside the buttstock was the serial number I wish I could have had that in grave on the receiver but I couldn't as nodak already put a serial number on it. I consider it a true colt simply because 99.9 parts are colt and only one part the lower is not so I will argue this to my day that it is a real colt

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tankerfrank View Post
    I built one a few years back I used one of the nodak receivers and one of them kit from Malaysia. inside the buttstock was the serial number I wish I could have had that in grave on the receiver but I couldn't as nodak already put a serial number on it. I consider it a true colt simply because 99.9 parts are colt and only one part the lower is not so I will argue this to my day that it is a real colt
    That's really neat that you found the original sn!!
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Check out the AR-15/M-16 Retro forum of the AR-15 section over on Arfcom.

There are a couple of stickies with sources of parts.

Did a couple of 604s (M16). One on a Nodak receiver. Good receivers.

The best improvement made in going from the M16A1 to the M16A2 was the elimination of the triangular handguards. The little tips on the vents were always breaking off and the sharp edges that it left would pinch and cut our hands. I hated those handguards!

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    These are all built on Nodak Lowers. Man you are making me want another upper!!!!!
    Last edited by Grenadier; 06-12-2017 at 08:01 PM.

I have started gathering parts to build a Model 605 Carbine. Have gotten in line for a Nodak Spud upper/lower appropriate to this build. Have never really considered another
    AR until I saw these retro builds. Such a rifle would fit withing my Mil-Surp heavy interest/collection. Have already found a gunsmith (http://www.retroarmsworks.com/) to do the barrel work for my 605. Have a "D" butt stock and very good triangle handguards. Have barrel parts in cart on Ar15sport.com....just waiting for the money.

605.jpg

Oops!. Duplicate.........How do you delete a post?
    Last edited by jason60chev; 03-10-2018 at 05:57 PM. Reason: duplicate

I also like the look of the Model 605. A friend built one up using 'dissipater' components, slightly modifying the handguards to fit over the gas block and such. His ran great, unlike the originals!

Eli
    Last edited by Eli; 03-12-2018 at 12:23 AM.

From what I have read...there seems to be little info on these......no one seemed to think of enlarging the gas port in the barrel for the shorter length. The vids that
    I have watched of people who have built these with the rifle length gas system, the enlarged gas port works just great. Guess if I wanted a carbine length gas system, I would be building a "carbine" and not a 605. Cost would be less, since 16" barrels can easily be had, but brings barrel length to 17" when muzzle device added. Just doesn't look right, that way. John Thomas a Retro Arms Works.com will turn and re-work a 20" barrel to correct length/configuration. I will send my barrel parts to him, when I get them.

There's a reason they don't enlarge the gas port, I think they burn up gas tubes or something. The 'Dissipater' is a fully functional solution, although I prefer a 652 over the 605.
    652-sm-723x252.jpg

Eli

I still like the look of the 605. Not to say that the one you posted doesn;t look good. From the posts I have read and videos of builds, enlarging the gas port
    works. I like the look of the full length triangular hand guards.

This guys build videos are pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrhMVXj3Ey0