Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does the stock make the Garand?

Does the stock make the Garand?

Last year I worked on collecting parts to make an IHC Gapper a correct rifle. The last piece was the Overton Stock I found at the Louisville gun show. I had Tim park the rifle and placed in the stock but it just didn't look right. The stock was a light color which detracted from the overall rifle. I sent the stock set to Jim in Arizona and ask him to make the stock look like a dark reddish military stock. I got the stock back yesterday and all I can say is Wow! Makes the rifle look like a totally different rifle, much like it would have originally. I'll post picture tomorrow, I think you'll agree in this case the stock set makes the rifle.
    Bill

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I think the stock set makes the Rifle.You can have a great Rifle,but put it in a crappy stock,and You'll think"What a crappy rifle",but You can have a crappy rifle in a beautiful stock set,and will think"what a nice Rifle".....at least sometimes.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

There is something rich about that dark brown/red color no doubt. I prefer it over that light blonde. Stu
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Cadet
    As a custom stock maker I have to agree. A nice looking stock is much more important to me than having the correct cartouches. "Correct" pieces have their place, but the ergonomic, condition, and appearance mean more to me than markings.
    www.LAW483.com Innovative M14 and M1 Rifle Stocks

Founding Member
    No one wants to buy an ugly rifle! It's like the food industry. If you have ok quality food and the presenation is done right people will enjoy it more then excellent food with crappy presentation.

I've said it for years and years, wood on a rifle is like _ _ _ _ on a woman. Guys just gravitate to that wood.

Patriot
    I agree that the wood makes the rifle also Bill, a wise man once told me that only the pretty girls get asked to the dance.
    I just put my GAWs on rifles I have had and some of the were setting in some pretty nice post war stocks. I feel ok about it cause I think they matched up ok and do not look to bad. I just need about 6 more post war rifles to put these stocks on. Its been a good year for wood, between Dupage and the USGI stocks out of the CMP. Maybe I shoud use your guy for my IHC with the bad wood.
    Last edited by checkmate19; 06-06-2011 at 09:18 PM.

You gentlemen are 100% correct. Here's what I consider the best of both worlds, a virtually unfired HRA and a Semi-Fancy Walnut Stockset by Dean Dilibaugh.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    NRA,GCA,OGCA, USAF,Msgt.Ret.

Founding Member
    Wood is everything!

Seems like in the past I had better wood?
    Bill