Thread: M1903 handguard expert needed.

Senior Member captain_bob_badfish's Avatar

Question M1903 handguard expert needed.

This Springfield came from the CMP about 10 years ago. It is one of two I purchased from the original owner a couple of weeks ago whom had never removed them from the boxes since purchasing them. (Whoo-Hoo Me!)

Something about it looked odd right from the beginning on this one but I couldn't put my finger on it... then I realized, there was no hump on the handguard. WTF?
    I've never seen one without the hump so I have been trying to research it for the last several days without any luck. I then took it to a local gunsmith whom loves 1903's who kinda freaked out when he saw the handguard. He seems to believe it came from a .30-03.

The handguard is unmarked and in old, but very good condition (no cracks anyway).
    Nearly 75,000 rifles were produced with hand guards like this before 1906. Is it possible something like this could survive and resurface during a rebuild or at the CMP?

Does anyone here know what I might have? Perhaps there is a more logical explanation.

Thanks,
    Bob

Last edited by captain_bob_badfish; 06-06-2011 at 04:04 AM.

It sure does look like a handguard that was used up to 1910. It has the clips and the cutout for the windage knob and somewhat flat at the top. The best people to ask though would be John Beard or Rick the Librarian over at "Surplus Rifle Forum" or the CMP.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

Thanks for the tips.

Mystery solved. It's a modified A3 hand guard.