Thread: M14 gas system "improved" over Garand?

Junior Cadet

M14 gas system "improved" over Garand?

I have often read and heard it said that the M14/M1A gas system is "improved" over that of the Garand. But is it a fact? I'm wondering about robustness, longevity and maintenance. I've been giving some thought to some factors playing into this question:

fewer parts in Garand gas system
    gas in Garand system is of lower pressure by virtue of being taken closer to muzzle than gas used in M14
    Garand op rod is only driven by expanding gas versus M14 op rod being punched by piston, which itself slams to a stop inside M14 gas cylinder
    long op rod of Garand is more prone to being bent than short op rod of M14 - but it's only being slapped by gas and not a steel piston
    not sure, but seems to me like Garand system is more dimensionally forgiving, less fouling, and needs less maintenance than that of M14
    I'm pretty sure bullet has left the bore of Garand before anything starts to move - not sure about M14
    M14 system is (at least somewhat) self-regulating, in that piston movement cuts off gas once a small sip has been taken, and is more forgiving of ammo variation

Not trying to argue one over the other, just thinking about the differences and pros and cons of each and would appreciate your thoughts.

I would think that the M14 gas system would be more robust in "theory". I don't shoot M1a's though so I have no idea if that's true in practice.

Checkout this 1963 article about the M14, little muckraking...but still interesting.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/...gid=2117809701

I would think the primary reason for so much re-design was a reduction in weight, where the 20 round magazine was an increase. Certainly the gas system on the M14 must weigh less......less mass by theory would help accuracy.

Junior Cadet
    Thanks Tim and RoadKing. That 1963 article was good reading and informative. Appreciate the pointer.

Founding Member

M-14 rifle story

Quote Originally Posted by akriet View Post
    Thanks Tim and RoadKing. That 1963 article was good reading and informative. Appreciate the pointer.
    Roadking, Thanks for the tale..I had already used the garand in private use, and read of the story about the FAl, being passed over, when I signed up in the National guard... I was issued the M-14 mfr. by Winchester as my primary weapon, in Ft Polk La. I was impressed by the ease of use, the twenty round mags and the accuracy to 450 meteres..They were all issued in semi-auto config. only...never heard the tale of converting them to full-auto in the field by anyone...The e-2 stock for Fa fire had already been rejected, and the rifles were in Wood or straight fiberglass stocks,,The reasons given to us were, they were too hard to control in fa fire and it wasted ammo..Three shots and it went to pot from..there...I was very disappointed, and sad to train on the m16 rifles by COLT that were issued next...Interesting...anyway...I do know from fact the full auto parts were making a good rifle very complicated and harder to use...These parts were left off of the M1a civilian version sold to us..Og.