Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .35 Whelen

Patriot
    Sounds like a project for a CMP Grade C Receiver..

Quote Originally Posted by jbkf1003 View Post
    Sounds like a project for a CMP Grade C Receiver..
    Actually the mad science donor is a Century Arms receiver. (almost disposable)

Quote Originally Posted by centurion20000 View Post
    Actually the mad science donor is a Century Arms receiver. (almost disposable)
    So I finally got around to playing with metal .... and that's 8 rounds of 35 Whelen in the receiver and an en bloc clip.

Time to implement: one hour with hand tools.

Tim, what do you think?
    The Maxims ....
    14. "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"*
    34. If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
    37. There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'

Here's what I think;
    1. What you are doing might work and it might not. You won't know until you fire it and see how it feeds.
    2. If it works, who will buy it? Most states have 5 round hunting limits and 35 Whelen is a serious hunting round.
    3. The one guy who might live in Wyoming, where you can hunt with more than 5 rounds, are they going to be willing to pay the extra cash to make this mod so that they can hold 3 extra rounds of very expensive ammunition?
    4. If Whelen were a self defense round I could see the need and the expense.

Either way, it is very interesting to see if your receiver would fire missing the very rails that caused the 7th round stoppage during WWII.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Here's what I think;
    1. What you are doing might work and it might not. You won't know until you fire it and see how it feeds.
    You have a point. This was just a test on a Century Arms receiver to even see if it could be done [and apparently it is possible .... feasible might be another story]
    2. If it works, who will buy it? Most states have 5 round hunting limits and 35 Whelen is a serious hunting round.
    5 round en bloc clips can solve the legal issue. The selling point is that you can keep your 35 Whelen ammo in en bloc clips ready to go instead of loading into the magazine one at a time. Hell, I'd buy it for just that reason even if I was legally limited to five.

3. The one guy who might live in Wyoming, where you can hunt with more than 5 rounds, are they going to be willing to pay the extra cash to make this mod so that they can hold 3 extra rounds of very expensive ammunition?
    Pro bear hunters / people living in Alaska maybe. And it's not THAT expensive when you reload for it.

4. If Whelen were a self defense round I could see the need and the expense.
    Either way, it is very interesting to see if your receiver would fire missing the very rails that caused the 7th round stoppage during WWII.[/QUOTE]

9.1mm battle rifle .... 9.1mm mini-G .... who wouldn't want to be the only guy in town with one of these?

Maybe I'm stuck on mad science, but I would bet at least half your 35 Whelen customers would jump on it.
    The rails aren't missing, just opened up, and the distance is tiny compared to the dimensions of the round itself. I think it's going to work, unfortunately I don't have spare parts (and the barrel action wrench) laying around for testing.
    The Maxims ....
    14. "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"*

This is a hobby...experimenting just, well, just because, is part of the fun. I've been wondering how well a Garand would work in 338-06. With a 225 grain projectile, it looks like has higher muzzle energy than .35 Whelan, and with the smaller projectile diameter, wouldn't have as much of a magazine issue as the .35.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    This is a hobby...experimenting just, well, just because, is part of the fun. I've been wondering how well a Garand would work in 338-06. With a 225 grain projectile, it looks like has higher muzzle energy than .35 Whelan, and with the smaller projectile diameter, wouldn't have as much of a magazine issue as the .35.
    338-06 ... meh. But that's personal preference. In reality though, good luck on finding a barrel for it. That seems the be the hard part on that caliber.
    The Maxims ....