Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .35 Whelen

Junior Cadet

.35 Whelen

This information might be out there, but I haven't found it.

What twist rate do the Mini G barrels you install have?

What is the maximum overall cartridge length that configuration will feed? Any restriction from Whelen specs in order to work in the Garand?

Does the Whelen cycle as reliably as a standard 30-'06?

Regards,
    John

They have whatever twist rate you want.
    I don't remember the max length, check SAAMI on that.
    You can only fit 5 rounds in the mag well.
    I think they feed just fine.

Junior Cadet
    I know saami oal, just wanting to know if the M-1 structure restricts oal to less than saami at all.

I have no prob with 5 rounds, but I do have to take into account if they don't feed with the same reliability as regular old 30-'06.
    So, "I think they feed just fine" is not so helpful to me. Maybe a ,"they missfeed every so many rounds, for me" would be helpful. Plus a description of the occasional feed problem. This won't be a hunting rifle, and reliability would matter more than normal for me.
    I understand there aren't many in hard use, so data will be limited.

J

By "I think they feed just fine" I mean that I haven't EVER had mine misfeed. If it did misfeed it would misfeed for the same reasons and in the same ways as a standard Garand.

The guy who reloads mine once did a recipe about .002 over SAAMI and it still fed fine.

The only mystical thing about the 35 that makes it a lick different then the 30/06 is the number of rounds it holds. It will misfeed just like a standard Garand if something were to be wrong in the same way a standard Garand would have something wrong. The gas port is even the same. I use a Schuster with mine.

One thing to add, I've only fired my 35 maybe 400 times max, it's expensive to shoot and I only use it for hunting and getting ready to hunt.

Junior Cadet
    Thanks,

J

Junior Cadet
    Double post for some reason.
    Last edited by JTMcC; 01-15-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Junior Cadet
    I'm going to let the stupid hang out here a bit, but what's the limiting factor that allows 5 rounds to be loaded?
    .35 Whelen is just a necked up '06 case, so there has to be something in the rifle limiting capacity at the front end?
    Is a loaded .35 en bloc (5 rounds) a stable unit? or do the rounds wobble? Inquiring minds want to know, I'm having a hard time envisioning a clip with 5 rds holding together so help me out here.
    Basically wanting to know if loading/reloading using .35W en blocs is a stable affair or if extra time/caution is required.

J

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    I'm going to let the stupid hang out here a bit, but what's the limiting factor that allows 5 rounds to be loaded?
    .35 Whelen is just a necked up '06 case, so there has to be something in the rifle limiting capacity at the front end?
    Is a loaded .35 en bloc (5 rounds) a stable unit? or do the rounds wobble? Inquiring minds want to know, I'm having a hard time envisioning a clip with 5 rds holding together so help me out here.
    Basically wanting to know if loading/reloading using .35W en blocs is a stable affair or if extra time/caution is required.

J

I guess I'm just as stupid as you are then, I didn't see how there was a 5 round limiting factor either. Here's the reason, look at a 35, look at a 30/06, now look at where each bullet rests while in the mag well, the actual bullet. The bullets rest between a rail on either side, those rails don't let the fatter 35's double stack completely.

I would call a 5 round enbloc "semi stable". You might actually be able to get 6 in there but it's darn tough. 6 rounds is far more stable.

Junior Cadet
    Got it, I kind of knew it had to relate to bullet room cause case is the same up to the shoulder.

When you say "semi stable", I'm guessing it takes considerably more care in storage, handling & loading?

Wouldn't matter for general hunting or fun use but my requirement would call for solid en blocs ready for use.

I really like the .35W, it's a waaaaay underrated round. Lot of questions I know. Thanks for answering.

J

You are correct on semi stable Sir.