Thread: So, I Bought a Lower . . .

So, I Bought a Lower . . .

In a moment of weakness, I bought a lower receiver. I didn't need one, and it wasn't particularly a good deal, but it was a quality brand and complete from the factory. I found it listed online on a social networking site, and a trip to the manufacturer's website revealed that the same unit was still backordered for months. In fact, this lower was ordered by the seller about a month before Sandy Hook and only recently received. I bought it and quickly went to work assembling myself an evil black "angel-maker" that would make most mall shooters and park preppers proud.

I thought I would post some information about what I bought, where I bought it, some of the deals that I found, and some of the positive and negative experiences that I had.

So, let's start with the lower; A year ago you couldn't find a lower, stripped or complete, in any local gun shops to save your life. If you could, it was going to cost you an arm and a leg, or at least a kidney. The major manufacturers were all back-ordered and those that had them were slapping them onto whatever uppers they had in stock to keep up with the demands of buyers willing to pay $1500+ for anything scary and black.

When I saw the complete Spike's Tactical lower listed for under $300 it seemed like a good deal. The seller was listing it for what he had paid for it in November 2012, less any shipping or tax. It was unused and had never been assembled on an upper. On the Spike's website, lowers are listed as being back-ordered for an estimated 8-12 months. Wow! I guess they are still catching up with orders. Well, while they were catching up, it seems that lots of others have caught up, or fired up the CNC machines and put out new lines of lowers.

I recently posted here some "deals" I found online. These ranged from $49 stripped aluminum lowers, to sub-$75 stripped lowers with parts kits to make your own complete lower. I even found billet lower receivers being manufactured in sunny Cleveland, Ohio for under $150 in 5.56 and .308. Check out goballisticfirearms.com and ask for Sean. I don't know that I am a big fan of the billeted lowers. The integral trigger guard seems like it could be something that would be easy to break and hard to fix. Your actual mileage may vary. I am certainly no expert and will defer to the many here that are or profess to be.

With stripped lowers under fifty bucks, I can't see a downside to buying two or three or ten of them and putting them away until the next tragedy gets of politicians back on their soapboxes. The gungrabbers haven't quit. A few lowers in the safe may be a good investment if you are looking to make a profit. and, there is no time like the present to "grandfather" yourself into a cool rifle.

Next, I'll move on to BCGs . . .
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by dogboysdad View Post

With stripped lowers under fifty bucks, I can't see a downside to buying two or three or ten of them and putting them away until the next tragedy gets of politicians back on their soapboxes. The gungrabbers haven't quit. A few lowers in the safe may be a good investment if you are looking to make a profit. and, there is no time like the present to "grandfather" yourself into a cool rifle.

Next, I'll move on to BCGs . . .
    Good post and have to agree. PSA just had a deal for 10 stripped lowers for 499.99 including shipping. Fifty smackers each. The ones I looked at were really nice although they were advertised as blems the only issues I could see cam from crappy packaging. Hell of a stocking stuffer for the Holidays. Guess everyone ran the CNC's full blast during the election craziness now need to unload excess inventory. Good time to buy.

Founding Member
    Who knows where to buy the ar-15 barrel in 5.45x39 russian?? model 1 and ballistic advantage are the two I found..Aim surplus sold out of them.. Looking around? Og.

Dogboy, I picked up a complete upper with BCG and charging handle for 399 from Palmetto. not too shabby, came with a midwest industry ssg12 handguard (about $160).

Speaking of BCGs, check these out: $79/shipped http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...48eb5-17872377
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I reckon within the next month or 2 I'll need a complete lower for my A2 Rifle.I only want something that looks like the original lower that went with it.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)