Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 1911 Junk Yard Dog build completed

New 1911 Junk Yard Dog build completed

Junk Yard Dog Build Completed;
    Several years ago I purchased a frame/slide side here on the forum from Joe Chambers. The frame is a Foster Recon and a Caspian frame both parts steel in the white. I finally got enough time and decided to build a pistol using this frame/slide and mostly spare parts from my junk drawer. I sent the slide to Novak to have the sight cuts milled and both sights. I had Kodiak Koatings in Shelbville, KY to Cerakote the completed pistol. I meet the people from Kodiak at National Gun Day in Louisville, KY in December, 2013. I was impressed by the examples of their work and since it's less than an our drive from home I decided to just drop it off and pick it up. The pistol turned out great and the Cerakote makes the rails feel like they're on ball bearings. The trigger pull is 3.4 pounds and breaks like a glass rod. This is a series 80 frame and slide but I built the pistol as a series 70 using a filler. I bought the grip panels from a forum member on the cheap to put a little bark in this old dog. A lot of fun and my first Cerakote project.
    Bill
    DSCN1219_zps67b04679.jpg
    Last edited by paid4c4; 01-31-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

Founding Member
    I really like that! The lack of forward serrations is sweet. I wish I could make mine disappear...

One more hint I'd like to pass onto my fellow BT warriors. When I completed the pistol and the test firing I dismantled it, cleaned it and reassembled it. I then took progressively finer sandpaper to the seams and mating surfaces of the pistol. I used the "thumbnail" rule to test seams and mating surfaces, if you can drag your thumbnail across the seam and feel it you need additional sanding. The nice people at Kodiak told me sanding and fitting the parts along with finally cleaning and preparation is the difference between a good cerakote job and a great cerakote job. I know this might sound crazy but to us gun nuts it isn't.
    Bill
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

Nice, I like it. Wish I had the patience and brains to do such a build
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Love it. You are making it very hard to resist building my own.
    !

Quote Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
    Love it. You are making it very hard to resist building my own.
    Use great caution as rolling your own is habit forming.
    Bill
    Bill

Brother Bill, I fricking love it! Great looking piece!

War Room Ready
    Looks good, I have done a lot of cerakote on different types of pistols and rifles. You are right about the details making the finished product look better. How much did the cerakote job cost you?

Quote Originally Posted by jjones View Post
    Looks good, I have done a lot of cerakote on different types of pistols and rifles. You are right about the details making the finished product look better. How much did the cerakote job cost you?
    The cerakote cost was 175 and since I delivered it and picked it up there wasn't any shipping charges. I'm anxious to see how it holds up.
    Bill
    Last edited by paid4c4; 02-02-2014 at 11:54 AM.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by cuppednlocked View Post
    I really like that! The lack of forward serrations is sweet. I wish I could make mine disappear...
    I try not to have FCS on any of my 1911's as I don't want my hands that close to the muzzle end of a pistol.
    Bill
    Bill