Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide....

Patriot

Help me decide....

For my next project I want a casm center mounted scoped mini-g. I am not much of a hunter but would punch holes in paper at 100 or 200 yards, and for social situations. It would replace a scoped marlin xl-7 30-06 in my arsenal as my primary scoped weapon... My dilemma is should I mag feed it or not? It would sound like a no brainer, mag feeding would make it faster and easier to reload.

Cost is not a primary concern, but I prefer 30-06 over 308 (I have a lot more ammo, plus it would keep ammo compatibility with my other rifles). Also if I mag feed it since I live in a communist state I'd have to chop the bayonet lug off a gas cylinder, I'd only legally be able to use 10 rounds mags, and couldn't use a muzzle brake.

So I'm leaning towards 30-06 mini-g with a holbrook device....

What do you guys think? Is it too much of a pain to reload with the clip fixed in? Should I just quite waffeling and mag feed it?

Justin

Patriot
    I'm on the fence also. But, cost is concern for me. I love the thought of the mag. Do not mind the enblocs though. If cost were not a concern, absolutely mag fed.

I'd mag feed it in .308 unless you wanted 35 Whelen.

Patriot
    Ok, What's the best way you think to cut the lug off a GC, (by best I mean the one the looks the cleanest). Cut just the sides of the lug off so a bayonet would not stay on? Or cut the whole lug off and grind it down to the GC? I would probably cut with a dremel and grind down anything with a pneumatic file. (I work for a company that makes these).

I would then send it to Tony G to be refinished before I send the whole rifle to You. I wouldn't want you to get in trouble for sending me back an illegal baby killing assault weapon..

Justin

Justin

I cut off mine with a hacksaw before I sent my rifle in for Mag-G conversion. Tim cleaned it up real nice before he Parked everything. That is how I handled the evil babykilling feature on mine. I just hate hearing about all those elementery school bayonetings that go on hear in New York State! That require us to mod our rifles for the childrens saftey.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jbkf1003 View Post
    Ok, What's the best way you think to cut the lug off a GC, (by best I mean the one the looks the cleanest). Cut just the sides of the lug off so a bayonet would not stay on? Or cut the whole lug off and grind it down to the GC? I would probably cut with a dremel and grind down anything with a pneumatic file. (I work for a company that makes these).

I would then send it to Tony G to be refinished before I send the whole rifle to You. I wouldn't want you to get in trouble for sending me back an illegal baby killing assault weapon..

Justin
    Staten Island German Martial Arts (S.I.G.M.A.)
    http://www.sigmanewyork.webs.com/

Time to feed the pigs!!!!!!

The sword of time will pierce our skins
    It doesn't hurt when it begins
    But as it works its way on in
    The pain grows stronger...watch it grin.

Patriot
    Thanks Mike. Sounds like a project for a snowy fridged Buffalo weekend.

It's just plain retarded...

Justin

Justin, the gas cylinder is soft as butter. A hacksaw removes the lug and a flat file will clean it up undetectably. No need to re-finish the cylinder if you don't want to. The mag fed is really coolbut so is the holbrook device and the casm center scope mount without a mag feed. Tim's Whelen is set up that way and it is badazz.
    Last edited by Punch The Clown; 02-12-2014 at 06:26 PM.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Ermagerd.... please don't deface another gas cylinder. I actually have one from my "sporterized" (read: butchered) Garand that I may part with. PM me if you're interested.

On second thought, it's just too heinous and the GC itself is of such dodgy condition that I should probably just go throw it in the lake.
    Last edited by Jimbo Slice; 02-12-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Patriot
    Yeah I was having a hard time coming to terms with cutting one up too. It's been sitting on my bench for a month just waiting for the dremel.. Then I told myself I'm cutting up a receiver (well not really me) so what difference does a gas cylinder make... What really Pisses me off is that I can't run a Muzzle Brake with it.

I wouldn't let the lug be the feature that determined the direction you take with this, but, AFAIK, the Garand is not specifically named as an assault weapon in the SAFE act. What they did as a catch all was to declare all weapons with a detachable magazine and any one evil feature an assault weapon. That is why you can have an LRB m14 type with box mag, but no evil features, in NY without registering it. So, if you were to skip the mag fed, you can keep everything else, Lug, muzzle device, even colapsable stock/pistol grip if you want. So you just need to decide if the detachable box mag is more important to you than the other features.