Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide....

Patriot
    Jgun,

Your exactly right on the laws, and deciding if the Mag is worth loosing the other features. I'm not too concerned at this point on the bayonet lug so we'll forget about it for the sake of decision making. What I'm looking for is a center mounted scope on a Mini-G. Just because, no real reason. Just to put some holes in paper, maybe hunting at some point (4 or possibly 2 legged predators). So my options are 30-06 Mini-G w/ holbrook device or Magfed Mini-G in 308.

I prefer 30-06 (Only have to stock one Caliber, a bit more velocity, ect), and would like a muzzle brake (want to make sure my neighbors at the range go deaf), which if I go mag fed 308 I loose because of NY's stupid laws.

The question is really if the holbrook device is too cumbersome to load or not with the CASM mount. If it's not then I'm leaning towards 30-06 with holbrook...

I guess the happy median might be to go 308 Mini-G w/Holbrook, keep the lug and brake, but if it's too much of a pain to load send it back in for the 'change'....

Decisions..

Justin

If I'm understanding the Holbrook device, it's advantage is that it locks the bolt back and retains the enbloc. Would I be correct in understanding that you intend to single load the retained enbloc? Although a retained enbloc that you could eject at will sounds good, I'm not sure that I'd want to be restricted to single loading an enbloc that that was captured by the CASM, unless it was a dedicated hunting/target gun. Maybe you could come up with something with a center mounted flip to side scope and a Holbrook? I've got an AR with a flip to side Eotech magnifier, wasn't there a flip to side optic mount made for the military garands at one time? I know the D's had the scope offset the left side but I thought I saw a flip to side Garand scope mount somewhere.

I forgot to ask, does the CASM fit the Garand? I thought it was designed for the M14/M1A?

Patriot
    There is a version for the Garand, the same thing, just a bit longer for the longer action..

http://www.m14.ca/M1_GARAND_CASM_Scope%20Mount.html

Patriot
    yep thats how it works...

That looks good on there. Have you tried the Scout mounted EER scope setup yet? Is there a reason you're considering the CASM setup over that? I think I could come up with a hinged rail setup to flip the scope to the left, but the question is, would you ever sell enough of them to make it worth the work.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkf1003 View Post
    Jgun,

I prefer 30-06 (Only have to stock one Caliber, a bit more velocity, ect), and would like a muzzle brake (want to make sure my neighbors at the range go deaf), which if I go mag fed 308 I loose because of NY's stupid laws.

Decisions..

Justin
    The brake bit was removed from Safe do to a spelling error. Will they put it back? Who knows.

Some of the M1a guys modded their mag releases. They feed via stripper clips now. They believe their gun is now compliant as it no longer has a detachable mag.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyD11730 View Post
    The brake bit was removed from Safe do to a spelling error. Will they put it back? Who knows.

Some of the M1a guys modded their mag releases. They feed via stripper clips now. They believe their gun is now compliant as it no longer has a detachable mag.

Where there is a will, there is a way.
    I know they spelled it wrong in the Bill, but really? They struck it because of that spelling error?

Yeah I know about the M14 mods, I did one myself but ultimately sold the rifle, and bought 2 Garands.

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jgun View Post
    That looks good on there. Have you tried the Scout mounted EER scope setup yet? Is there a reason you're considering the CASM setup over that? I think I could come up with a hinged rail setup to flip the scope to the left, but the question is, would you ever sell enough of them to make it worth the work.
    Like the ultimak rail? I have one that I am going to put on the 30-06 Mini-G, I'll probably put a Leupold 2.75x on it. Center mount scopes usually have more magnification and can have BDC reticules. So I was going to do one too. I just liked the CASM mount idea and wanted to try it out. There is no need here, just a middle aged, conservative, God fearing, white male with extra money to spend.

I use one of these mounts to run a magnifier behind an Eotech red dot sight. If I were going to try to mount a center mount flip to side optic on a Garand, I would probably try to adapt one or two mounts like these by attaching them to a piece of picatinney rail, and then mounting my scope rings to that. depending on the weight of your optic, you might be able to use just one flip mount, attached to the rear sight area like the HOPCO mount does, and a pad on the front of the rail resting on the receiver (like the CASM) to support the optic against the front of the receiver during recoil. The Samson mount is pretty pricey but there are other similar mounts that are more reasonable. If you were willing to permanently attach a front flip to side to the receiver as well, it would probably be very sturdy. http://www.opticsplanet.com/samson-q...arms-base.html