Thread: 1903 rear sight collar pin question

1903 rear sight collar pin question

Hi all

I just removed the sight collar on my Mark1 project. The sight alignment pin went flying and I can not find it.

Just so you understand this is not the cross pin, but the one under the rear of the collar on top. Does anyone

know what size this pin might be?

Axe
    Staten Island German Martial Arts (S.I.G.M.A.)
    http://www.sigmanewyork.webs.com/

Time to feed the pigs!!!!!!

The sword of time will pierce our skins
    It doesn't hurt when it begins
    But as it works its way on in
    The pain grows stronger...watch it grin.

Mike, why did you remove the collar? If you are putting a different collar on the barrel or vice-versa the pin hole won't line up anyway. The pin isn't really necessary but chances are you'll have to drill a new hole if you want one.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Stu

If you remember the photos in this thread,http://forum.shuffsparkerizing.com/s...-My-MK1-barrel You will know why I removed the collar. But I am not asking about the cross pin.
    Staten Island German Martial Arts (S.I.G.M.A.)
    http://www.sigmanewyork.webs.com/

Time to feed the pigs!!!!!!

The sword of time will pierce our skins
    It doesn't hurt when it begins
    But as it works its way on in
    The pain grows stronger...watch it grin.

Got you. Anyhow, the pin on the breech end isn't really necessary, but if the collar lined up properly I would just use a piece of a nail.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Mike, this is from another site.

There is no key in the rear sight fixed base, only the alignment pin, which was a temporary means of keeping the sight aligned while the lower pin was installed. The alignment pin can't always be used for sight alignment since the hole was drilled after the sight base was put in place and not all are in exactly the same place. The same is true of the lower pin; the alignment of the holes in the fixed base with the slot in the barrel might or might not be perfect, so you might have to cut the barrel slot. I don't recommend just drilling through the existing holes in the base unless you have the proper tools to drill into a curved surface without the drill drifting.

The best way to align the rear sight is to locate the barrel draw line on the left side, and install the sight with the "shelf" line on the left side of the fixed base directly over the draw line.