Thread: This Mule is Kicking!

This Mule is Kicking!

I've named this build Mule because I'm going to use it to test springs and different parts. It's also a build on the cheap, or as cheap as you can get with new stainless steel parts. The frame is from Remsport, the slide is Para NOS from Sarco and the parts are from Sarco. The frame was 150, the slide which was complete with sight cuts and sights, firing pin, spring and stop and extractor 154, the remaining parts including barrel was 139. The pistol went together fairly easily and the Sarco parts were much better than I expected. I used a different grip safety as the Sarco one was never going to look right. this meant the supplied hammer had to be cut down a little so it would cock, I may change this later. I also swapped out sears in order to get a constant trigger pull of 3 pounds 9 oz. which was achieved after a third polishing of the hammer hooks. Test firing should take place tomorrow, a report and photos to follow.
    Bill
    DSCN1231_zpsd335b54d.jpg
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

You are really making me want to try and build one of these. I guess if Ii decide to that would be the build to try. Atleast I wouldnt be screwing up a several thousand dollar 1911
    Whats the minimum tools needed?
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Files, sandpaper, sear jig and safety tube staker. I'll loan you the jig and staker when you get to that portion of the build. I'm going to shoot it tomorrow, I hope. Let me know if I can help.
    Bill
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I would love to look at your pics Bill,but I can't look at shiny firearms
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Humperdink View Post
    I would love to look at your pics Bill,but I can't look at shiny firearms
    In that case Prince, you would love it, It is very shiny and has sex appeal to most males...

Hump, it does have a shine because its stainless. I might consider putting a matt finish which will take off the shine. I'd rather have shiny than that dull look of a plastic pistol, remember steel is real. It's 2 hours until range time. OH BOY!
    Bill
    Bill

Had a good time at the range. The pistol performed very well. I had zero problems in 50 rounds. Feeding, extraction and ejection all worked without a flaw. It was shooting a iitle to the left and low which I think was my error. I did notice the slide cycling a little harder than I think is normal, so I'm going to put a Wilson Combat flat recoil spring kit it and shoot again later in the week. Over all I'm pretty happy with this build. I'll post the next target for comments.
    Bill
    Bill

A follow up report on the Mule. I changed out the recoil spring for a flat sprint and added a shock buff. I couldn't get the trigger pull under 4 pounds 3 ounces with a little creep. I stoned trigger and trigger ways in the frame, adjusted the sear spring and swapped the main spring for a 18 pound Wolf. The combination of things brought the trigger pull to 3 pounds 8 ounces without trigger creep. The main spring supplied in the Sarco could be used on a pogo stick it is stiff. Hope to shoot this week, report later.
    Bill
    Bill

Well my friends due to Hump not like shiny pistols I'm having it bead blasted this week which will give it a matte finish. It then gets the initials TS on both sides behind the CS's. TS is the initials of my best friend who I am giving the pistol to as a birthday gift later this month. It also get a set of Wilson Combat fancy French Walnut grips. I'll post pictures when completed.
    Bill
    Bill