Thread: Now What....

Patriot

Now What....

So I got an aim surplus flyer in my email, I was looking at 7.62x39 ammo and I stumbled upon the stripped 1903a3 receivers they had for $129. I bought a nice 1903 from a forum member about a month ago, but figured hey I need an a3 too... So I bought one, and a 1903a3 parts kit from Sarco. All I need is a barrel and stockset.

I just want a historical shooter. Doesn't need to be all correct, ect.. Just a nice piece of history I can shoot and hand down to the kids / grandkids. So I am looking at a criterion barrel and cmp stock set. I assume the Criterion barrels are GTG, and the same for the stock sets?

I have built M14s and Garands from barreled receivers, so I assume I'd be able to handle this, but I'm not sure Tim barrels 1903s, and don't know who else I would send it too...

So I'm thinking of just sending my receiver and parts to the CMP custom shop to have them install the barrel and stock set (from their inventory) and assemble the whole thing. Good idea?

Thoughts..

Justin

Pros: You will have a new barrel and probably a great shooter.
    Cons: Your total cost may be more than just buying a complete A3

CMP doesn't show any A3 stocks on e-store.
    My 1903 stock from CMP had to be fitted
    Head space should be checked anytime you install a barrel
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

Patriot
    The parts are listed in the CMP Custom Page. I have about $300 spent now, it'd be $465 to have a new barrel installed and new stock installed (excluding shipping). Which is about the going rate for a complete rifle once complete.. No cost savings but I get the warm fuzzy feeling of resuscitating an old workhorse and I can spread the cost out over a few months..

Has anyone used the CMP custom shop, any good or bad experiences? I had them do an oprod swap for me, it was fine, but I'm sure they send it out to be retabbed, then just repark it.

Or can recommend someone who can install the barrel and I'll put the rest of it together? According to Tim's site he reparks these rifles, but it seems that's about it.. Tim correct me if I'm wrong..

Justin
    Last edited by jbkf1003; 03-01-2014 at 07:59 PM.

I'm not a fan of sending business to anybody but Tim, but DGR can sell you a new .30-'06 or .308/7.62 barrel and install it: http://dgrguns.com/0-main-page-barrels.htm

Eli

Dammit now I'm considering building one - they're CHEAP!

Eli

Patriot
    Thanks Eli,

I have bought barrels from him in the past, but never had him do work for me. I have heard mixed reviews on him, but as I said have no firsthand knowledge. It also seemed a bit high for barrel installation. It's an option though.

Thanks,

Justin

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    There are some fellas on the cmp forum that barrel 1903's,I think one of them is Chuck in Denver? The first one I built was a recovered Smith Corona with a NOS rem 44 barrel...it is still a tack driver and the only thing I didn't do myself was ream it.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Patriot
    If I am looking at NOS Remington Barrels do I want 2 or 4 groove? Accuracy with FMJ is more my concern than anything else. I would assume 4? Because of course bigger is always better.. (The mini-g being the obvious exception)
    Last edited by jbkf1003; 03-02-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Here's an interesting article. Lots of reading too.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/journals/two-groove
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112