Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor/muzzle device mounting options for Mini-G/M1

Cadet

Exclamation Suppressor/muzzle device mounting options for Mini-G/M1

Just got off the phone with Ron Smith and all he could tell me was to contact him again in June to see if they've decided to develop a muzzle device for our rifles to allow suppressor mounting.

I would highly advise any and all interested to drop him a line to help push this development. He's very 'on the fence' about it because he thinks he'll only sell "20 to 25 of them."

He also advised that if Russia gets us into WWIII all bets are off.

bill

Patriot
    I would think there is someone here would could machine a standard parts builder gas lock to your desired threads, maybe even Greg himself. Rather than have to go through all that...

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by jbkf1003 View Post
    I would think there is someone here would could machine a standard parts builder gas lock to your desired threads, maybe even Greg himself. Rather than have to go through all that...
    We don't do any gunsmithing, but have thought about a suppressor install on the BM59 quite a bit. The vendor who did the oversize gas lock we sell is well versed in barrel threading for suppressors and the lock was done with some input from him. It's very possible one way to do it would be with the "5 ring" barrel to add support and alignment for the suppressor along with a threaded gas lock. Would love to be the test dummy for it but our LEO won't sign off on suppressors. Am trying at this time to get someone nearby who is licensed to play with the concept. Main things, I have been told to be most important, is alignment (obviously) and overgassing. Also whoever does the treading will probably be concerned with matching thread class. There are also some mounts that are a coupler type. If someone comes across info on BM59 suppressor installs please share the info.

As mentioned above, it would not be very hard to make a 5/8-24 threaded gas lock using Gregs builder part. which would allow you to mount a screw on can. If you're looking for a quck mount from SEI that means you'll be limited to suppressors that use their mounting design. BTW the only one that can get us into a war over Ukraine is the fearless leader in the whitehouse.

ordmm, you mention overgassing, do you think that's something that a schuster gas plug would not be able to solve?

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jgun View Post
    ordmm, you mention overgassing, do you think that's something that a schuster gas plug would not be able to solve?
    It's pretty much common knowledge the effect a tri-comp has in regards to bolt speed, which is lots. My guess, I stress "guess", is that a suppressor would even be greater in regards to bolt speed. Can't speak to how a Shuster plug would work. Uncharted territory I guess.

I don't know Mr. Smith, never talked to him, but it would take an act of God for me to buy anything he sells.

I'd love to see a functional suppressed Mini G. Hope you're able to get a class 3 holder on board with the R&D. If you were to get far enough with the concept to have a working test platform and the Schuster can be utilized to control overgassing, a toolless switchable gas plug, similar to the Noveske switchblock in function, might be a useful item to develop down the road. I've also read reports from those running suppressed M1A's/M14's, of there being problems with gas in the face while shooting, I'm thinking that the short barrel of the MG might increase that tendency.

Founding Member
    The size of the can to contain gases would need to be bigger if talking about the 06 version..I have been surpised by the size of the 308 type...Also wondered about how many rounds before it it cashed in, or ready for rework?

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    I don't know Mr. Smith, never talked to him, but it would take an act of God for me to buy anything he sells.
    Tim, he wasn't exactly friendly on the phone either...