Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Something different, a 20" Garand and YOU BE THE GUNSMITH.

Quote Originally Posted by jjones View Post
    Was the op rod spring cut when the barrel was shortened?

Yes sir, 15".

Patriot
    Just guessing here but sounds like you might open the gas port. I hate to guess, I need the rifle in my hands when I trouble shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by mixmaster View Post
    Just guessing here but sounds like you might open the gas port. I hate to guess, I need the rifle in my hands when I trouble shoot.

Plenty of gas mixmaster, in fact I had to tone the gas down a bit with the Schuster.

follower arm?

Patriot
    Well it was just a guess. I need the gun in my hands and I have so many items I check it is hard to do long distance, You frustrate the heck out of me when you present a case like this!
    Mix

Follower arm good to go and standard length. I got nothing against guessing mixmaster, it's what I have to do plenty of times. By the way, this problem has reared its ugly head with .308 Garands in the past. The fix for this problem is not acknowledged by many folks.

The 7.62 nato round is approx .590" shorter than a 30-06. Does anything else have to be done in the barrel/receiver area to accommodate the shorter round ?
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

Patriot
    Did you use the spacer to keep .06 from being loaded. This would limit the movement of the cartridge from rocking back and forth. Still frustrated! But thanks for the condolences. And you are right some times a guess is all we have to work with.
    Mix

You added the spacer block after you beat it on the shop table?
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

Ding DONG! The spacer block is the answer boys. On SOME Garands the rounds are jostled in the box well and this causes feeding problems. I put a steel spacer block, should be called a .308 bullet guide, into the rifle and instant happiness. I have seen this issue on both standard Garands and the shorties. I really can't identify why some get feeding problems from the rounds moving and some do not. I do know that the military does not come up with a "spacer block" just because they don't want the wrong ammo attempting to be fed. This is especially true when you can't fit a 30/06 into a .308 chamber.