Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garand 2 gun

I haven't done this at the range yet, and I'm not an experienced Garand guy, but when I was running some practice drills at home, I found that I loaded faster from my left (weak side) than from the right. Of course I'm probably conditioned by he other guns that I've done this with, but usually I like to keep my trigger hand in place on the gun, and execute the reload with the off hand. Are you saying that you find it faster to reload with the strong hand and then regrip to shoot?

So far I do. I'll have to try the weak hand and see how it goes. Like you said though, it won't work with the stock pouch. Maybe I should just buy another M1 and send it to Tim for the mag fed mini g conversion. :-)

zpfile000.jpgzpfile004.jpgzpfile001.jpg

I'd like to do the same thing, but first I've got to swing the price of another Garand for Tim to do the mag fed mod on.

I can't take credit for this because I got the idea from someone on the SH forum. I still think the Olongapo stuff would be superior to these, but this little cell phone pouch does fit the enbloc very well, and it has molle loops on the back, so you could add them to a belt or a chest rig, or anything else that is molle compatible. I'm probably going to pick up a couple more to try out.

Someone sent me this youtube video the other day. I see that this guy chooses to use his strong hand to load, just as you are Herkybird. He seeems to have his reloads down pretty well. I do notice that he uses one of those two rd enblocs in order to time his reloads better, and he also seems to need to manually close the action each time, Is there a modification that can be done so that the action doesn't close until you release the op rod (like with the M14), other than using the Holbrook device? I notice that he doesn't need to manually eject the enbloc, so I'm assuming he's not using the Holbrook.

http://youtu.be/JREo8FLjZug

Junior Cadet
    Do people really reload from the weak side, like in the first video? Just seems awkward to use two hands when it can be done with one while maintaining on hand on the rifle for control.

Jeepdeep, Please excuse my lack of experience showing here. I have yet to get to the range and do any live fire reload drills with my G, but at home, with the bolt locked back/action opened, when I hold the gun in a low ready position with my right (strong) hand, and use my left hand to insert the clip, when I insert the clip fully, it releases the bolt and loads the rd. I see that the shooter in the first video, inserts the clip with the left hand, but his op rod doesn't release when he inserts the clip, and he then uses his strong hand to pull back the op rod and release the bolt. The shooter in the second (youtube) video, inserts the clip with the right hand and then pulls back on the rod with the same hand to release the bolt. Am I to understand that the way my gun releases the bolt as soon as I insert the clip while practicing at home is not how it will function when I'm reloading on the run after the gun ejects a clip and locks back?

Junior Cadet
    The way you describe the function of your rifle is what I am used to and would expect. The op rod releases as soon as the clip is inserted, the key is to make sure your thumb is out of the way. I see in the first video that he is using his strong hand to hold the op rod back while he clears his left hand and then he lets it go into battery. I agree with your earlier post about the second video, he does appear to have a modification that allows the oprod to remain to the rear even with a fully inserted clip.

Founding Member
    One of the newer double grenade pouches holds 4 garand clips pretty nicely and it has the loops on back..believe i paid $8.00 for it.

How that second guy reloads is how I've been doing it. I just feel discombobulated loading with my weak hand.

I'm going to have to get out to the range and try reloading both ways. from past experience I'm used to reloading with the weak hand, but the enbloc takes more force to seat than a box mag so I find that I need to drop the G to the low ready to brace it against my body while pressing the clip in with the weak hand. There may be some functional reason that makes reloading with the strong hand preferable, but so far, in dry fire paractice I haven't found that to be the case for me. I may in the future find that the other works better, we will see. I'm just waiting for my Aimpoint to arrive before I make the first trip to the range to try out my G.